Thoughts on Transmission Flush interval

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wanted some opinions on how long I should wait to get my transmission fluid flushed. I have a 2003 Toyota Corolla which I purchased in 2010 with 61,000 miles. Upon purchasing the car I had the transmission flushed by Toyota (along with other maintenance) The car now has 84,000 miles. Driving is a mixture of city and highway. My feelings are to wait until about 100,000, but I wonder if that is pushing it. Toyota doesnt seem to have an interval on this set in stone. What do you guys think?
PS, since 61,000 I have used Mobil 1 E.P. 5w-30, changing the oil often (6-7K) as I have learned that the motor in this car is hard on oil. My friend, a mechanic for 30 years, just adjusted the engine valves and said visually the motor looked brand new at 84,000.("as clean as a new motor")

Last edited:
You don't have to flush this tranny. It has a drain plug, and a bit more than half the fluid comes out - about 3-3/4 quarts. Refill with Toyota T-IV or your fluid your choice. Do it every 15k to 30k and save the money on flushing it at a shop.
What was wrong with the valves?

He adjusted the valves on a VVT-i motor? Interesting. Are you running T-IV? That fluid lasts longer than Dex III, I have both. Keep using T-IV, transmissions that use it are sensitive to any fluid type changes. Its easy enough to do a drain and fill yourself. Costs about $25, gets about half of it. I do it ever year or so, works well.

nothing wrong with the valves, but they are not self adjusting and have never been adjusted before. After getting a valve adjustment and new spark plugs this car feels like it has 20 more horsepower.

yes the valve clearances are right under the hood. These valves are not self adjusting and need to be checked every so often.

Originally Posted By: Clubber_Lang
nothing wrong with the valves, but they are not self adjusting and have never been adjusted before. After getting a valve adjustment and new spark plugs this car feels like it has 20 more horsepower.

Your saying the Toyota VVT is not self adjusting?

to my knowledge the engine has variable valve timing, but the valve clearances still need to be checked/adjusted from time to time

All I can tell you is that after replacing the orginial spark plugs (supposed to be good for 10,0000) doing a valve adjustment and cleaning the throttle body (and replacing the PCV valve----all at 84,000---that the car runs like it has 20 more horsepower, the difference is unbelievable

Originally Posted By: zorobabel
You don't have to flush this tranny. It has a drain plug, and a bit more than half the fluid comes out - about 3-3/4 quarts. Refill with Toyota T-IV or your fluid your choice. Do it every 15k to 30k and save the money on flushing it at a shop.

15-30k is WAAAAAY too early and a waste of perfectly good transmission fluid, IMO.

If the car is driven normally, i'd do a few drain n fills at least every 60k with quality tranny juice.

This is one of the easiest rigs to do a cooler line flush on, absolutely a piece of cake. Having said that, I would wait as it seems the fluid in there should still be good for a while yet.

I agree, but I suggested 1 drain&fill not several for that interval. For the wife's Corolla it's 1 drain&fill every 30k. Several drain&fills - now that a waste
smile.gif
and a PITA.

OP, I second the request for your observations on the cold startup dieselish noises improvement?

Originally Posted By: Artem
Originally Posted By: zorobabel

15-30k is WAAAAAY too early and a waste of perfectly good transmission fluid, IMO.

If the car is driven normally, i'd do a few drain n fills at least every 60k with quality tranny juice.

Drain and fill, cheap and can do it yourself with the drain plug so convenient.. I have done my 92 camry; drain and fills only, with Amsoil ATF, still going. Now if I can just stop the engine oil leaks.

In ref to the questions about the valve adjustment---Yes it has quieted down valve train noise in the motor. To be really objective it ran pretty well before, but now it just runs that much better. My freind (adjusting the valves) told me that they were only slightly out of alignment, and that the adjustment job was a piece of cake (I wasnt there with him, had to drop the car off)

Don't go too crazy with the ATF maintenance. At some point you should drop the pan and clean the magnets. Check the screen filter too.

Nothing is going to clean those magnets unless you drop the pan. But its not the end of the world if you don't do it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back