Thoughts on these cracks?

A member on a rav4 forum was asking about their tire cracking, curious to know what you think. 2018 rav4 with 30k, all four tires have the shoulder cracking
Cracks.jpg

I would guess some hard cornering but would get an opinion from the manufacturer.

I'd say they are harmless as well, but a friend of mine was just sold two tires because of similar cracking. Tire shops will tell you that they are old and ready to fail.

Normal aging and plan on replacing within 2 years. IMO the manufacturing date is important since all 4 appears to be wearing the same.

5 year old tires... tires have a 6 year service life?

Looks fairly normal for a non-garage queen.
What is the location?

I would expect chunks to break loose sooner than later the way they're cracked along the groves. They look like they've had a rough life.

Typical for Michelin tires in my experience. I had a set of Pilot supersports that started to crack on the outside shoulder like in your pictures within 2 years.

This was on a car being driven ~8K miles a year commuting only and parked outside.

If they still grip in the wet, I'd run them for a bit more but have a look at them fairly often. I had some bfgoodrich tires summer tires that cracked,(not quite as much as yours) on the rear inner shoulders as the car had lots rear toe in and negative camber which I think heated them up a bit even with normal tire pressures. I flipped them on the rims and then they chunked a bit when used for autocross but were still gripping pretty well. Only the grip compound chucked off in my case, the structural rubber was still fine.

I wonder why I haven't commented on this earlier. Oh, well!

The cracks on the surface of the tread aren't the concern, but the ones at the bottom of the grooves are. They look bad enough that i would remove. Those cracks are an indicator of the condition of the rubber next to the belt edges - the most critical part of the tire.

those tires need to be driven more and replaced, the sooner the better

one of the few things perhaps or all of them: old rubber, sun/heat burned, and low on air pressure for longer period of time

I wonder why I haven't commented on this earlier. Oh, well!

The cracks on the surface of the tread aren't the concern, but
the ones at the bottom of the grooves are. They look bad enough that i would remove. Those cracks are an indicator of the condition of the rubber next to the belt edges - the most critical part of the tire.
I didn't notice the cracks at the bottom of the grooves until you mentioned them and I enlarged the image. I agree that the tires should be replaced. Were they on my car, I'd be looking for replacements now, and wouldn't be taking any long, out-of-town, highway-speed trips with them. Locally driven around town might be OK, but only while looking for replacement rubber.

I wonder how many people are viewing the images on their phones and can't see the cracks in the bottom of the grooves

Back