Thoughts on the Trek Verve 2 vs Giant Cypress DX?

The Trek Verve 2 comes in Red and that would look sharp with chrome fenders added.

The Giant Cypress DX has dampers on the front forks for a comfortable ride.

Both ride upright, aluminum frame, adjustable stems, disc brakes and the Trek dealer is closer. Any opinions on these models?

I have a verve 3, and love it.

I can’t imagine that the suspension fork you get in a $600-ish giant upright bike is going to be particularly good or helpful. It will add weight snd size.

Maybe I’m just partial, but I’d go with the Trek personally. Though I doubt you could go wrong with either, and test riding each may be more telling than an internet suggestion. I almost bought a trek fx instead. I wanted a suspension-free bike, amd was torn between the verve and fx. The fx definitely felt lighter and faster…. I may still buy a bike like that because I liked the feel for fitness riding… feel has a lot to do with selection…. I suspect the verve will feel more responsive and better, but tbd…

I'd go no fork on this roadster and feel the same as JHZR2 and AZJeff about forks. The forks on my 2 mountain bikes are more than the bikes mentioned here. I do have to admit the modern el-cheapo forks have come a long way. My daughters Trek Marlin 5 ($600) bike) has a no-name fork and it does well on some of the rutty, rocky knar we ride.

I have mainly Trek for me and my kids but can't go wrong with Giant either.

True. Not needed on road or on smooth bike trails. No suspension should get you better components at the same price point.
Good point. The giant has mechanical discs, while the verve 2 has hydraulic. I’m partial to shimano hydraulic brakes myself, the verve 2 vs 3 are tektro vs shimano…. but both hydraulic…

Good point. The giant has mechanical discs, while the verve 2 has hydraulic. I’m partial to shimano hydraulic brakes myself, the verve 2 vs 3 are tektro vs shimano…. but both hydraulic…
When you change brake pads, do you do anything with the fluid? Changed my rear pad and now the brake has to be pumped to work. Looks like its kind of involved........I'm not real happy with hydraulic bicycle brakes at the moment.

When you change brake pads, do you do anything with the fluid? Changed my rear pad and now the brake has to be pumped to work. Looks like its kind of involved........I'm not real happy with hydraulic bicycle brakes at the moment.

You should be able to take the old pads out, push the pistons back carefully and put in the new pads. Sometimes if you squeeze the lever with no pads in the pistons will go way out and something happens internally and you have a problem and they need bled. Bleeding them really isn't bad, lots of vids on YouTube but you do need a few special things and the correct fluid. Kits are available on Amazon with everything you need for your brand of brakes.

You should be able to take the old pads out, push the pistons back carefully and put in the new pads. Sometimes if you squeeze the lever with no pads in the pistons will go way out and something happens internally and you have a problem and they need bled. Bleeding them really isn't bad, lots of vids on YouTube but you do need a few special things and the correct fluid. Kits are available on Amazon with everything you need for your brand of brakes.
Thanks, yes changed the pad easily, didn't squeeze lever without it in. I have looked at the videos and bleed kits with fluid, just haven't purchased one yet.

Back