Thoughts on the Honda 2.4 liter i-VTC DOHC>?

Status
Not open for further replies.
166 Horses
confused.gif
That's all they can wring from this high-tech engine? We went with the Element, because we enjoy the driving experience, not to smoke tires, but still...
frown.gif

Anyway, I plan to run a 3K break-in, then run Royal Purple 5-20 Full-synthetic.

What are your thoughts on this motor in general.
confused.gif
I went looking on something safe for the kids, and RELIABLE for the wife.

Thanks for any opinions!
smile.gif

I too bought a car with that engine two days ago. Accord VP. For 06-07 accords the engine was slightly changed k24a4 to k24a8, I don't know if it's true for the Element, supposedly the new one has has more low to mid range grunt. Don't know for sure, try searching for the differences. I also read somewhere that this engine has a lot of power hidden, and if you want to unleash those ponies you have to fiddle with the ECU and aftermarket performance parts. Other than that the engine is very durable, never heard of Honda 2.4s going wrong in some or another way.

I too would like to know if I have to keep the factory oil in untill 5k like the manual says. Does honda use break in oil? 115 miles on the clock.

Supposedly Honda does in fact use a "break-in" oil of sorts. And if you read the manual, it states to leave it in until the OLM says to change it, or 5000 miles if you have the Hondas without it.

I've had 2 Hondas, a '04 CR-V, ans now an '07 Pilot, and both of them, I changed out the oil at 1000-1500 miles. We traded in the CR-V on the Pilot with almost 55K miles on it, and no concerns whatsoever engine running wise. She didn't use a drop, and I was doint 3-5K OCI's on her since that first OC at 1000-1500 miles.

My opinion - do what makes you feel comfortable, because most engines these days don't require that regimented break in period like engines of yore once did.

Don't forget that this Element 2.4L i-vtec engine is also capable of 1500lbs tow load.

Dave424 got it pretty much right on the $$ (Honda's 2.4L engine is very, very, very reliable).

Also: Honda can do 1 of the 2 things with their Vtec N/A engines:

(1) get as much power output as possible (similar to it's S2000 engine which comes close to 100hp/1L in a factory stock, mass-production N/A engine)

or

(2)go they other way (obviously for fuel economy reasons): a detuned 1.5L vtec lean burn engine on a Civic VX that is capable of 28:1 F/A ratio while crusing happily with approx. 67hp on the motor...

I highly doubt that the engine is the limiting factor in that 1500 lbs. tow capacity. GM 4-cylinder engines (which sucked hard, IMO) from 20 years ago could tow that much. It has more to do with the body/frame design and suspension setup. I'm sure, given the right configuration, that engine could tow 3500 lbs. +

For example, in my Monte Carlo, my 3900 (242hp, 242tq) engine comes with a 1000lbs tow rating. In the Chevy Uplander, with the same engine and transmission, it is capable of 3500lbs.

UOAs on these engines have been great. I have a 03Accord EX and a 05 Accord LX in my household and both have been smooth and flawless plus the MPG for the power is good too.
5W20 works well in these engines as UOAs will testify.

Quote:

166 Horses
confused.gif
That's all they can wring from this high-tech engine? We went with the Element, because we enjoy the driving experience, not to smoke tires, but still...
frown.gif

Anyway, I plan to run a 3K break-in, then run Royal Purple 5-20 Full-synthetic.

What are your thoughts on this motor in general.
confused.gif
I went looking on something safe for the kids, and RELIABLE for the wife.

Thanks for any opinions!
smile.gif

The K24A4 and K24A8 (added DBW throttle and may have small tweaks to cams from K24A4) are great engines and will run forever. They are not exceptionally powerful, but they aren't designed to be. The i-VTEC on both engines is designed more to give a smooth consistent powerband, good emissions and fuel economy. Some i-VTEC systems (such as that on the K20Z3 or K20A2) are designed for top end power, but they sacrifice some of the lower end driveability for this. On an Element, your engine is really the perfect blend of performance, reliability, and fuel economy IMO.

Jon

My Accord manual says that it has a towing capacity of 1000lb. I'm sure the engine would have no problem towing that, my concern is the auto tranny overheating. I am thinking about installing a bigger trans cooler since where I live summer days will go above 100F.

Thanks for the responses!
smile.gif
I really don't have to ever worry about towing. The Element seems like a decent little box, for the wife & kids to get about town in safety and with reliability. More horses would be nice, but getting from A to B while passing the dealer's garage is most important.

Anything else I need to know about the little 4-cylinder>?
Thanks!!!
grin.gif
ufo.gif

My friend's dad has a 1990 VW Vanagon. 2.1 liter hoizontally-opposed 4-cylinder engine makes barely over 90 hp. The little thing pushes around the 4,000 lb van it's attached to, as well as a small boat when he decides to go fishing. Granted, it's turning 4,000 rpms cruising at 70 on the highway, but it gets the job done.

All I say about the 2.4L in the CRV's is that if you dont change the oil frequently they seem to be more clacky. This is using all kinds of different brand 5w20.

IMO I'd use a 5w30 for any honda. Odd how the bearing clearances are very similar to the older generation engines BUT thinner oil is recommended. LOL gotta love fuel conservation.

Peppy engine though. My wifes older generation CRV 2L is a pig compared to the 2.4L Vtec.

Huh, I thought 166 hp was pretty class-competitive. I think the Nissan 2.5 with 175 hp is the top dog, but 9 hp is hardly a big difference.

Isn't the word that the '08 Accord will have 180 hp?

jeff

Considering my 1990 Quad-4 2.3L had 180HP and some Oldsmobile variants had 195 HP, that's not saying much for the Honda boys when it comes to output.

So getting 170 out of something with more displacement isn't much to brag about.

The Ford Duratec 2.5L had 170HP back in the early to mid-90s. Again, output / liter of displacement that is on par with the 2.4L Honda of today, not far behind.

So I'd say 168HP out of 2.4 liters today is an average result, not earth shattering.

The 2.3L constantly blew head gaskets on #1 cylinders and the techs at GM had to watch a "rebuild/headgasket" video from the engineers because the mechanics were destroying engines. After a new headgasket is installed they blow them agian after a short period of time. The plastic piece that has the coils always arc so those need to be replaced from time to time. The starter is not fun to replace because its buried in the front by the radiator. Trannies constantly grenade. Heatercores go like every 80s-90's chev out there too.

2.4L honda engine rocks in the reliability department.

Quote:

Considering my 1990 Quad-4 2.3L had 180HP and some Oldsmobile variants had 195 HP, that's not saying much for the Honda boys when it comes to output.

So getting 170 out of something with more displacement isn't much to brag about.

The Ford Duratec 2.5L had 170HP back in the early to mid-90s. Again, output / liter of displacement that is on par with the 2.4L Honda of today, not far behind.

So I'd say 168HP out of 2.4 liters today is an average result, not earth shattering.

Who says these things are supposed to be Earth shattering? This is the base model engine they put in mid-sized, mid-priced family sedans and small SUVs. Seems to me this engine provides a near-perfect blend of performance, economy, cost, weight, NVH, and reliability. My guess is the Honda boys aren't looking to brag about the hp/l of this engine. They can brag plenty about their 3.0 V6, 2.0 Civic Si engine, and the 2.2 in the S2000. It's all a matter of application.

FWIW, the TSX uses the same basic engine and has 205 hp.

jeff

Some in the thread called the output of this engine class leading.

I, as you did, demonstrated that this really isn't the case. It may be more refined and more reliable. However the output is, as we both said, not earth shattering.

I certainly didn't say it had to be either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back