Thoughts on switching to Valvoline 881055 5w40 Euro from T6 after 55K miles in my Ecodiesel?

Switching to Valvoline 881055 5w40 Euro from T6 after 55K miles in my Ecodiesel

• Valvoline 881055 5w40 Euro

• Stick with Rotella T6

Results are only viewable after voting.
Greetings all, my 1st post.
I've run my 2016 Ram ecodiesel for 55K miles on Rotella T6 since new, only having it changed at the dealer. I had a bad experience with the dealership as soon as the warranty expired, so I'm willing to let an independent shop I trust change the oil now and the shop recommends Valvoline 881055 5w40 Euro. Should I have any concerns going with this?
Edited to add: What is the BEST oil that I can put in this, as I need this truck to last me another 2 years or so while I wait on my Cybertruck?

Pic from our ice storm here in Austin this week.
Thanks in advance.
20230201_102924.jpg

Last edited:
Does that oil carry the license, specification or approval listed in your owner's manual? If it does then there is zero concern in using a specific brand.

Does that oil carry the license, specification or approval listed in your owner's manual? If it does then there is zero concern in using a specific brand.
I believe the oil is new and my manual is 6 years old. But, it does carry the specification if I am reading it correct.
I might not understand the question.

You're not using a 5w30 which 99% of the battle.

Does Mopar even know what they are doing?

I'd worry about the 'other' failure points that have cropped up with this motor.

I didn't see any Mopar spec's in the datasheet. My vote is for proven T6.

You're not using a 5w30 which 99% of the battle.

Does Mopar even know what they are doing?

I'd worry about the 'other' failure points that have cropped up with this motor.

I didn't see any Mopar spec's in the datasheet. My vote is for proven T6.
They FCA at the time, switched their recommendation to 5w40.

How much better is the Extreme version compared to the non Extreme version? Longer OCI? Wear protection? TBN?

How much better is the Extreme version compared to the non Extreme version? Longer OCI? Wear protection? TBN?
It's a Synthetic 5w40 HDEO similar to T6, probably no better & no worse.
But it was on the shelves when all the T6 wasn't near me so I used it for about the same price point.

Consider the Quaker State Euro 5w40 as well. It is approved for Ecodiesels (MS-12991), relatively easy to find and not badly priced.

Currently running this in my '22 EcoD.

See here: QS Euro

Consider the Quaker State Euro 5w40 as well. It is approved for Ecodiesels (MS-12991), relatively easy to find and not badly priced.

Currently running this in my '22 EcoD.

See here: QS Euro
MS-10902 is the correct specification for the OP's Ecodiesel. MS-12991 is for the 2020 and later models.

T6 or the mentioned Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme are the proper oils for a 2016.

Ed

Back