Thoughts on Subaru 0w20 for Honda?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can get this oil on Amazon shipped to my door for $21 total. I would use it on my 2006 Accord with the K24. Part number is SOA427V1310. Not sure if this is SN or SM. What do we know about this oil? Any good, ok to use in my Honda?

Originally Posted By: FutureDoc
SN

Subaru 0w20 might not be Toyota 0w20 but it is about as good as it gets. Run it happily.

Do you know much about this oil? Its not talked about a lot here. Do you know who makes it, and how do you know its SN?

Originally Posted By: HKPolice
$21 for how much? I see it for $4.58 per quart which is a lot.

For 5 quarts, I have $ to spend on Amazon from one of my CC rewards points. And since when is $4.58 per quart bad for syn oil? When M1 and other syns go on sale at WM they come to $4.53 per quart BEFORE TAX. I am getting it shipped to my door for a hair under $4.40 per quart. Just want to know your thoughts on this oil. Not as good as the M1 I am running? Spend the extra couple bucks for M1?

Last edited:
You can probably get it for ~$3/quart from a Subaru dealership in cases of 12, same with TGMO. Amazon's price is nothing special for pretty ordinary 0w20.

Originally Posted By: HKPolice
You can probably get it for ~$3/quart from a Subaru dealership in cases of 12, same with TGMO. Amazon's price is nothing special for pretty ordinary 0w20.

Really? Show me where, and I'll call them and have a couple cases shipped to me. Every Subaru dealership I have called for pricing on Subaru 0W-20 quotes me high $5 to low $6 per quart.

As stated by 6starprez, Subaru 0W-20 is made by Idemitsu. But I'm not sure why he is saying it's nothing special. Everything I have read suggests it's a cut above most of the leading brands, but not quite TGMO or Mazda.

Last edited:
I've never heard of Subaru brand oil. Have you tried the new PurePlus Pennzoil Platinum? I'm running it in my grandpa's 96' Jeep Cherokee (5w30) with a Fram Ultra and it seems to run great. Although it's a Jeep 4.0L and would probably run on vegetable oil...

Originally Posted By: BHopkins
As stated by 6starprez, Subaru 0W-20 is made by Idemitsu. But I'm not sure why he is saying it's nothing special. Everything I have read suggests it's a cut above most of the leading brands, but not quite TGMO or Mazda.

Where, and what have you read ?

About all three ?

Originally Posted By: 6starprez
Nothing special about Subaru 0W-20, made by Idemitsu and it's SN.

I think its a good oil. I use the 5W-30 and the 0W-20 as a mix for my 08 Forester. I am expecting an analysis back for the 5W-30 any day. I suspect that the 0W is pretty much the same except has more Moly. Never seen a UOA on the 0W stuff.

Last edited:
It's probably the SN. Here is some info I found from one of CATERHAMS posts on it.

"I just got the MSDS for the Idemitsu made Subaru SN GF-5 0W-20 and 5W-30. Revision dates are May 16,2011 and Aug 30, 2011 respectively.

For the SN 0W-20 the viscosity spec's are:
KV40 ..... 44.77cSt
KV100..... 8.466cSt
V1 ...... 169

For the SN 5W-30:
KV40 ..... 61.39cSt
KV100 .... 10.49cSt
VI ...... 161

So it's a pretty generic oil and not at all like the Gf4 version.

Originally Posted By: Roob
It's probably the SN. Here is some info I found from one of CATERHAMS posts on it.

"I just got the MSDS for the Idemitsu made Subaru SN GF-5 0W-20 and 5W-30. Revision dates are May 16,2011 and Aug 30, 2011 respectively.

For the SN 0W-20 the viscosity spec's are:
KV40 ..... 44.77cSt
KV100..... 8.466cSt
V1 ...... 169

For the SN 5W-30:
KV40 ..... 61.39cSt
KV100 .... 10.49cSt
VI ...... 161

So it's a pretty generic oil and not at all like the Gf4 version.

Well as far as these viscosity specs go, its nothing special. But I wonder what kind of add pack it has.

An MSDS isn't and shouldn't be considered a PDS, although those on this site who poohpooh certain data sheets seem to believe MSDS' to be infallible in the justification of their argument.

The local fire department isn't going to be checking the VI off an MSDS when they enter a burning warehouse, they won't even get to the J300 viscosity...

Originally Posted By: FutureDoc
SN

Subaru 0w20 might not be Toyota 0w20 but it is about as good as it gets. Run it happily.

Here is an analysis for the 0W-20 "Subaru" oil.
Originally Posted By: DiggerCivic
LMVCFcf.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back