Thoughts on Shockproof in Harley Trans

Status
Not open for further replies.
I live in Arizona, where it is quite hot at the moment. I just bought a 2001 Duece with a TC88. Going to change fluids today and am wondering if it is prudent to use Redline Heavy Shockproof gear oil in the trans. I have owned Moto Guzzis in the past and have used Shockproof before. It is very thick which in my mind may be good for use in the ultra hot weather here. Any thoughts?

Alot of people swear by it. Probably good stuff. I use Mobil 1 75w140 and have excellent results and it is easy to find, works so well no need for me to switch.

I've used the various flavors in my turbocharged race cars. While I can't swear it resulted in longer life or cooler temps. It did hold up just fine to road racing use. If I remember correctly, it had tons of calcium in it. That was the "cushion" they advertised.

Originally Posted By: rn2fine
I live in Arizona, where it is quite hot at the moment. I just bought a 2001 Duece with a TC88. Going to change fluids today and am wondering if it is prudent to use Redline Heavy Shockproof gear oil in the trans. I have owned Moto Guzzis in the past and have used Shockproof before. It is very thick which in my mind may be good for use in the ultra hot weather here. Any thoughts?

I've got the exact bike (except a 2002) and I've run the Harley trans fluid, Mobil 1 gear lube and finally Redline's Harley transmission fluid - which is nothing more than the Shockproof and it is night and day!! The bike has never shifted better or smoother than with the Redline. The Mobil 1 was always smooth but only for a thousand miles or so. The Redline I have in it now is about 4000 miles old and still smooth. I'd say the clunkiness of the transmission has been reduced by 75% as you'll never get rid of all the clunks with the tranny design. I also run Redline primary and engine oils. I highly recommend them!

Last edited:
I've been using Shockproof Heavy for years now in two bikes. One a 94 Roadking and the other a 05 Heritage (also in a 02 which I no longer have). On the 94 it made the shifting more crisp probably due to the high viscosity in an old tranny. In the 05 it works very good with only one observation. In cooler temps like 40-50F the first shift or two take a bit more force than usual. By the time I get a block or two down the street and some heat gets into the tranny it shifts like normal. I think any quality gear lube will work fine though. I just had to pick something after HD disconued the old semi-syn tranny fluid and I was not interested in the motor oil in the tranny just for convenience idea.

Last edited:
Decided to put Shockproof in the trans. Drained what the last owner had in it (looked like motor oil). The Shockproof improved shifting considerably. Much smoother, less clunking. Very impressed.

I'm a big believer in Shockproof. I ride Guzzi's and they have a separate (from the clutch) transmission like HD. I have a 6 spd which it helped become smoother and a 5 spd. The 5 spd Guzzi trans is notorious for going KLUNK when you shift. With Shockproof it now goes clunk. Seriously though, it is smoother then my 6 speed was before Shockproof and the 6 speed is the one Guzzi riders have raved about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back