Thoughts on pennzoil 0w30 lx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I was wondering what your thoughts are on using pennzoil euro 0w30 LX in the summertime in my 2015 passat TDI? The dpf and egr are no longer on this car if it matters. The reason I ask is because with the current sale, plus the mail in rebate, I can get 5L jug of it for $21 CDN. So its ultra cheap for a vw507 oil, but I'm unsure of the 0w part. I'm in Saskatchewan so my summers are not as hot as probably some of you.

Thank you all in advance

https://www.pennzoil.com/en_ca/prod..._SAE_0W-30_Fully_Synthetic_Motor_Oil.pdf

Last edited:
Here are the specs.

E41DC7F7-1150-4705-926C-B75D29F554F2.jpeg

E4DDC31A-9298-45C0-8A75-162F535B9984.jpeg

Ya makes sense. Car calls for 5w30 so I've been running that year round. I'm just on the fence about using 0w to get oil to turbo quicker, then that pennzoil 0w30 lx has same vis at 100c as most other vw507 so wasn't sure if would be too thin in summer heat (+30c).

Other thought was go a bit thicker, like rotella t6 0w40. Should get oil to turbo fairly quick, but oil is a bit thicker at operating temp. Rotella T6 0w40 is usually on sale around my area for $38 for 5L jug, so that's still pretty cheap.

It's a 507 approved oil. Absolutely no reason why you cannot use it. Don't worry about viscosity as 504/507 calls for 3.5 minimum HTHS.

Last edited:
Yes, ignore grade as it is irrelevant. Focus on approval.

Also the oil is going to get to the turbo just the same regardless of the grade.

If my car wasn't still under warranty I would go buy three of four of these at this deal. I don't want to stock up because for keeping receipts for warranty purposes I'd rather have the oil purchased a few days before the actual oil change. $21 for this stuff is awesome deal though.

Originally Posted by 750HMF
Hi, I was wondering what your thoughts are on using pennzoil euro 0w30 LX in the summertime in my 2015 passat TDI? The dpf and egr are no longer on this car if it matters. The reason I ask is because with the current sale, plus the mail in rebate, I can get 5L jug of it for $21 CDN. So its ultra cheap for a vw507 oil, but I'm unsure of the 0w part. I'm in Saskatchewan so my summers are not as hot as probably some of you.

Thank you all in advance

VW504.00/507.00 is specification that allows 0W30 or 5W30 grades with HTHS above 3.5cp.
You are out of warranty bcs you do not have DPF anyway.
Question is, why you want this oil if DPF and EGR are out? This oil is created because of DPF and after-treatement emission hardware. You can easily use in your case high-SAPS oil such as ACEA A3/B3 B4 or some CK-4 oils etc.
But, to answer your question, this oil has HTHS above 3.5, same as 5W30 and cst is probably same as 5W30.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by edyvw

Thank you all in advance

VW504.00/507.00 is specification that allows 0W30 or 5W30 grades with HTHS above 3.5cp.
Question is, why you want this oil if DPF and EGR are out? This oil is created because of DPF and after-treatement emission hardware. You can easily use in your case high-SAPS oil such as ACEA A3/B3 B4 or some CK-4 oils etc.
But, to answer your question, this oil has HTHS above 3.5, same as 5W30 and cst is probably same as 5W30.

This is a fair point but I don't know how many 505 oils will be at this price. There is a 5W40 version 'Euro L' but on the same sale. Sometimes Edge 5W40 or Mobil1 will go on sale here that also have 505, but there is no rebate.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells

Thank you all in advance

This is a fair point but I don't know how many 505 oils will be at this price. There is a 5W40 version 'Euro L' but on the same sale. Sometimes Edge 5W40 or Mobil1 will go on sale here that also have 505, but there is no rebate.

On that note, this oil will perform same in the summer as 5W30 VW507.00. So yeah, if price is good, why not, regardless of DPF not being there.
I just suggested that bcs here there are numerous other oils that are available and could be good fit for that CR engine. But it dawn to me now that things in Canada are bit different.

Last edited:

very true.

Ya I realize I dont need vw507 oil anymore, it was mostly the price that caught my attention. I did a little more research and found that I can also get rotella t6 0w40 localy for $133 for a 18.9 L pail, and shell has a mail in rebate for $35 for 18.9L pail. So for $5.18 per liter I could get rotella which is a bit thicker, and appears to have maybe better additive package...... decisions decisions lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back