thoughts on P/S diagnosis

Status
Not open for further replies.
My '96 Camry 2.2 decided it was going to be a pita. Quick background..

About 2 years ago, I had a loss of power steering. Hard to turn in any direction, wanted to stay turned which ever way I had it set. I flushed the power steering with some Multi-ATF and it was fine. (I have flushed the system twice since then, I try to do it once a year)

Fast forward 2 years later to about a week ago....

I noticed that I was losing assist again. This time however it comes and goes. Sometimes it feels fine, other times I have to fight it. It can change while I'm driving. I changed the fluid again in hopes that something might happen, and it did not.

I have to fight it turning either direction, and as I said sometimes it is fine, but more often I have no power assist.

I'm looking towards replacing the pump. I would think that if I was having problems in one direction only, that there may be a steering gear issue. I'm sure the proper way would be to verify correct p/s pressures etc. But who really has the special tools for that? My dealership doesn't even have them.

Anyway, should I take a shot at throwing $100 towards a new pump? Is it possible the rack could be the issue?

On another note, after 175k and 16 years of beautiful Michigan roads, I finally have my first chassis part wearing out. There is small amount of play in my left outer tie rod end. I have to admit that I am pretty impressed on the quality of this old school Toyota. I replaced struts on it at about 100k, and replace rear sway bar bushings on it about 6 years ago. All of the other steering and suspension parts are still original. It is a little disheartening to work at a dealer where I see so many steering and suspension parts wear out at low mileage, and my old sled keeps going. It really has been a fantastic vehicle. Only real complaint is the massive amounts of oil the engine leaks, which I've hear is not uncommon with these engines.

either pump or valve assembly on the rack.

the pump has a pressure regulator in it, I'll bet-- designed to vent pressures over (guessing) 1200 psi or so??? on hondas, it's just a ball and a spring. high pressure just forces the ball back against the spring, venting fluid off the high side. spring could be getting soft, could be dirt in there keeping the ball open. might be worth a quick workbench disassembly. Just pay attn to how it all comes apart... wouldn't want to reassemble wrong and end up cracking a pump or having some ungawdly pressures in there. be safe.

M

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back