Thoughts on non-OEM oil and filter during warranty

Greetings all:

Any thoughts on using non-OEM oil and/or filters while a machine is still under warranty? My dad just bought a Craftsman T210 lawn tractor with an 18hp Kohler 5400 series engine and I am anticipating the 1st oil change which is due at 5 hours.

If the additional cost of the Kohler-branded 10w30 oil and 12 050 01-S1 oil filter is worth doing to avoid any concerns should a warranty claim be necessary (or if they are superior to something like Delo or Rotella 10w30 oil and a NAPA 1348 filter - which they probably aren't), then that is what I will use.

Thanks for any thoughts/experiences.

Andrew S.

I have three mowers with Kohler engines and they usually get Rotella T5 10w-30 or Rotella 15w-40 and a Motorcraft FL910s (which is interchangeable with a NAPA 1348/WIX 51348).

The only difference between the Kohler 12 050 01-S1 and NAPA 1348 is that the NAPA is about 1/2" longer. NAPA might have a little more filter media, not sure.

Good thinking on the oil. Now to the oil filters. Be careful cross referencing your oil filters. Sometimes, a cross referenced filter will not work. The baseplate will often times be the problem. Sometimes, the filter threads can be wrong. Take a close look at the OEM filter. The baseplate will either be stamped 3/4 or 20mm. Write that down. Now, look at the baseplate. Is it concave or convex in shape? Make note of that. Now, measure the OEM filter. Record the baseplate diameter. Record the outside and inside diameters of the gasket. Take these measurements and compare to the aftermarket filters. Pick the closest fit with the matching style baseplate. I’m telling you this from experience. The Toro and Exmark branded Loncin engines are a good example. The only aftermarket filters that work on them are the 4967 series FRAM and STP S4967. So choose wisely.

My LT150 has a Kohler and it gets SuperTech Full Synthetic High Mileage 10W30 and a Motorcraft filter. I don't see why something similar won't work in your application. Refer to the manual for the oil spec and go buy your favorite flavor and let your dad cut until his heart is content.

When I bought the mower last spring, I used the Kohler OEM filter for the first oil change. I cut it apart last fall when I changed the oil. It was a decent filter but not really worth the $10 when the Motorcraft is ~$4, IMO.

Just my $0.02

My mower has an 18 or 19 hp Kohler engine (don't recall right at the moment) on it and I use aftermarket oil/filters. My last mower had a 20HP Kohler that I used for over 20 years and somewhere between 700-800 hours. When the rest of the mower was toast the engine was still good and I would usually add about 4-6 oz of oil between 50 hr. OCI's. I used various brands of straight 30 weight in it and whatever filter I could find the cheapest. The mower I have now either gets the 10w40 I use in my cars or straight 30 weight of various brands. I guess because years ago they recommended not using multi viscosity oil in mower engines I still usually just use straight 30 weight. I buy it by the case so, a case will last me several years changing it in my mower and my mom's mower.

The correct xreference for the PN is:

The others mentioned are considered oversized.

For warranty coverage, you need to make sure you use equivalent parts. Wix doesn't give an upsize option for the OE pn.

I don't use OE filters or fluids. I do use oversized options too. Just understand their is always a risk if non equivalent parts are being used. If the 1348 works, then a 1516 can be checked clearance too. A little more media and oil capacity should only help. But, with a good interval, is it necessary?

The OE filter is 3/4-16... common to old Ford/Dodges/Toyotas. Nothing to worry about concerning thread or baseplate when it matches. Just watch for o-ring leaks, but most mounts have a pretty decent flange for brands/pns... equivalents.

Hi everyone:

Thank you for all of the replies.

Since it looks like the original Kohler filter only crosses directly to the Wix 51056/NAPA 1056 filter (which actually costs more than the Kohler filter from what I am seeing), I think I will stick with a Kohler filter at least until the 3-year warranty has expired.

After that, it looks like one of the several automotive-spec filters like the NAPA 1348/Wix 51348/Motorcraft FL910, etc. that have the same threads and bypass setting as the 51056 would also be fine.

For the oil, it sounds like any high quality 10w30 is good. I think I will run a dino HDEO through 50 hours to ensure good break-in and then switch to a full synthetic 10w30.

Andrew S.

Hi everyone:

Thank you for all of the replies.

Since it looks like the original Kohler filter only crosses directly to the Wix 51056/NAPA 1056 filter (which actually costs more than the Kohler filter from what I am seeing), I think I will stick with a Kohler filter at least until the 3-year warranty has expired.

After that, it looks like one of the several automotive-spec filters like the NAPA 1348/Wix 51348/Motorcraft FL910, etc. that have the same threads and bypass setting as the 51056 would also be fine.

For the oil, it sounds like any high quality 10w30 is good. I think I will run a dino HDEO through 50 hours to ensure good break-in and then switch to a full synthetic 10w30.

Andrew S.
The Fram PH/TG/XG will cross reference to the Wix 51348 and are all readily available at Walmart. Personally I used am OEM filter once on my John Deere D140, followed by two Wix 51348 and three Fram TG3614. The last TG3614 was left in place last fall since my machine sees only 30 hours per season.

As for oil, I prefer something with 3.5 HTHS or greater viscosity. Mobil1 10w-30 High Mileage meets ACEA A3/B3 specifications, which require 3.5 or greater HTHS. I ran that oil for three seasons but now have Rotella T6 15w-40 in the sump. Thus far I haven't noticed a difference. There has been no oil use with either product. The first two seasons I ran Mobil1 10w-30 EP and there was some very minor oil use.

With regard to the oil filter I think it is ridiculous that the OEM filters have the basic properties (flow rate, burst pressure and relief valve settings) of very similar automotive filters but often cost two to four times as much. I saw a photo of the Kohler "premium" yellow "Pro Performance" 52 050 02-S filter cut open and it looks like a typical e-core filter. It would be interesting to know how different it is from a SuperTech ST3614, STP s3614, etc.

Greetings all:

Any thoughts on using non-OEM oil and/or filters while a machine is still under warranty? My dad just bought a Craftsman T210 lawn tractor with an 18hp Kohler 5400 series engine and I am anticipating the 1st oil change which is due at 5 hours.

If the additional cost of the Kohler-branded 10w30 oil and 12 050 01-S1 oil filter is worth doing to avoid any concerns should a warranty claim be necessary (or if they are superior to something like Delo or Rotella 10w30 oil and a NAPA 1348 filter - which they probably aren't), then that is what I will use.

Thanks for any thoughts/experiences.

Andrew S.
Cut filter for you and I like this filter and continue to use this was one season will go two years on next run with below oil two Qt fill Remember to always pre fill filter before installing Kohler SOP

Attachments

• 20210320_124115.jpg
    20210320_124115.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 40
  • 20210320_125050.jpg
    20210320_125050.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 50
  • 20210320_123255.jpg
    20210320_123255.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 47
  • 20210320_124244.jpg
    20210320_124244.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 50
That is clean. I guess that shows that under most conditions, OPE can be pretty easy on oil filters. Yes - I always try to pre-fill any oil filter that I install. In the case if the Kohler 5400 series, the filter is mounted vertically with the opening at the top so pre-filling will be a piece of cake.

I used the Cub Cadet branded oil and Kohler filter the first two seasons in my Kohler 18hp Twin Cam Courage before switching to a Motorcraft FL400s (FL910 if the 400 is sold out) and different brands of oil. Currently, filled with 10w30 T5 Rotella.

Agreed - but after reading the warranty language carefully, I think using an oil filter that does not cross directly to the OEM Kohler 12 050 01-S1 could be a problem if an internal engine failure occurred. For now, I will be using the OEM filter and a stout 10w30 oil.
Use what will allow you to sleep at night. No sense worrying about something that doesn't need to be worried about! (y)

Just my $0.02

Agreed - but after reading the warranty language carefully, I think using an oil filter that does not cross directly to the OEM Kohler 12 050 01-S1 could be a problem if an internal engine failure occurred. For now, I will be using the OEM filter and a stout 10w30 oil.
An aftermarket cross reference could not be a reason to deny warranty claim. If the manufacturer is not specific on requirements, then any oil filter that fits and warranty needs to be honored.

Back