Thoughts on my crazy Winter oil change ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This winter I will be spending some time in Michigan's U.P. near Copper Harbor/Houghton and the rest in Central Lower Michigan and I was thinking about the ultimate cold weather oil for my truck. 2009 Chevy Silverado 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 with a 6 liter engine. Lots of Hiway miles and very little trailer towing. I will use a Fram Ultra and follow the OLM to 5% oil life remaining.

Here are my 4 ideas from wild to mild:

1. 100% Redline 0w-20 HTHS of 2.9 Pour point of -76F. Yes, I know the truck was speced for 5w-30 but this oil isn't too far from being a 30 wt and this might make a very interesting UOA come spring time.

2. 50/50 blend of Redline 0w-20 & 0w-30. Should give me an HTHS of about 3 and a pour point of -76F

3. 100% Redline 0w-30. HTHS of 3.2 and the same pour point of -76F

4. Regular old M1 AFE 0w-30. HTHS of 3 and a pour point of -58F

You might ask, why the 50/50 mix of redline? Redline oils are a bit thick for grade and this was an attempt to get it near the M1 AFE levels.
Yes I know Redline oil is a bit on the pricey side but I'm OK with that.

So what are your thoughts? Which one would you pick?

Last edited:
No reason to over think this, either #3 if you want Redline, or #4 if you decide to go with M1. Your engine will be well protected either way.

I would go with #4, since it would protect as well as any of them, and be cheaper and less complicated. But then.....I am a cheap guy.

Plus......I use 0W/30 AFE year round in my 30 weight vehicles, and have no complaints.

Firstly, Pour Point is a largely useless spec and has no bearing on the coldest start-up temp's you're going to encounter. The extreme cold viscosity spec's that do have value are MRV @ -40° and CCS @ -35°C but I doubt you're even seeing temp's that cold.

As much as I like some RL oils I don't think they would provide any cold start advantage over M1 0W-30 plus you don't need the high ZDDP levels of RL oil. So I would save your money and just go with M1 0W-30.

I think the newness of the oil will trump any of your choices. Thst is to say you go through winter with your olm at 100-> 50 with any 0w oil will have more effect then the choices.

Dont know your oci in terms of time, but since its already sept, I will assume you'll go through this winter with oil in the first 50%.

Next winter though is when youd need to do some planning.

Not saying any of this will really matter but this hair to split is slightly thicker than the choice of oil

Sad that XOM does not see fit to offer an EP version of their 0W-30, like they do for their 0W-20, as I WOULD use that for a winter OCI.
Maybe even year 'round IF the VI was high enough!
27.gif

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Firstly, Pour Point is a largely useless spec and has no bearing on the coldest start-up temp's you're going to encounter. The extreme cold viscosity spec's that do have value are MRV @ -40° and CCS @ -35°C but I doubt you're even seeing temp's that cold.

As much as I like some RL oils I don't think they would provide any cold start advantage over M1 0W-30 plus you don't need the high ZDDP levels of RL oil. So I would save your money and just go with M1 0W-30.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What he said.

I used to try all the higher end oils for various reasons, for many years. Even did my share of Frankenbrews. After all of that and all of the reading on here I've been on a diet of NAPA synthetic and purolator filters for a few years now. Simple, cheap, and reliable protection in all climates.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Sad that XOM does not see fit to offer an EP version of their 0W-30, like they do for their 0W-20, as I WOULD use that for a winter OCI.
Maybe even year 'round IF the VI was high enough!
27.gif

I agree, an EP 0W30 would be a great addition to their product line. But I think the XOM number crunchers think otherwise.

Originally Posted By: Inspecktor
M1 0W-30 works great for cold weather startup.
It gets brisk in Minnesota !

Looking at the weather in that region, a 5W would still be OK, but as they are allowed to "slip" a W grade and still "be in grade", a 0W is the safest bet.

And safest of the safe would be Mobil 1 0W30 AFE.

My thoughts on your crazy winter oil change ideas?

Well, they certainly are crazy and you're overthinking/worrying too much.

Just go with just about any 5W-30 or 0W-30 synthetic & stop worrying. You are overthinking this stuff.

When if gets -58F very few vehicles of any type or going to be going anywhere. MI 0w-30 has worked for me in northwest Colorado and eastern Nebraska.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back