Thoughts on Mobil 0W-20 vs. Pennzoil Platinum 0W-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: shokhead
Originally Posted By: CT8
Really !!! Oil is oil.

Not really. Used Q State in my 02 Altima SE and thought it sounded on the noisy side like the oil was light. Switched to pennzoil and it was quiet. FWIW

That's comical, given they are both produced by the same company.

Wasn't trying to e funny, only stating a fact! 08 infiniti G35 was a bit more quiet engine wise when I switched. It was like wow, that thing is noisey but more like lifters.

Originally Posted By: tig1

Speed dial? I just thought you might want to know the reason.

Sorry for the wise crack I made, I do appreciate what you did for me
cheers3.gif

I meant to say It was NOT like wow, that thing is noisey but more like lifters.

Did you change the oil filter at the same time? Some of the Pennzoil and Quaker State products are nary identical, which is why I found it amusing
wink.gif

I've never changed oil and not the filter.

I figured but had to ask. The filter can sometimes change noise, particularly startup noise.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

Did you change the oil filter at the same time? Some of the Pennzoil and Quaker State products are nary identical, which is why I found it amusing
wink.gif

Really amusing to me 30 years and a few dozen vehicles later … DB tested 2 engines … PUP louder than M1 EP in both … and by far the quietest engine I have is the 2017 5.3L on 0w20 M1 EP …

I thought I had saw and could be wrong that one brand weight might be lighter or heavier then the same weight in another brand?

Originally Posted By: Patman

Speed dial? I just thought you might want to know the reason.

Sorry for the wise crack I made, I do appreciate what you did for me
cheers3.gif

XM tech has been helpful for me in the past, and sometimes they can fill in where the web site lacks info.
11.gif

How about injectors? I can hear them clearly in both of my engines, and with a mechanics stethoscope I have verified it.

I don't see what calling them is going to do, they don't have the oil that meets the specs of her BMW, so they aren't about to go make one for me just from a phone call.

They do have an LL01 product, and it's available in Canada, Mobil Super 3000 5w-40. I don't think you will like the container size. I believe the choices are a drum or a 1200 L pallet. So, tig1 and I saved you the phone call.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak
I don't see what calling them is going to do, they don't have the oil that meets the specs of her BMW, so they aren't about to go make one for me just from a phone call.

They do have an LL01 product, and it's available in Canada, Mobil Super 3000 5w-40. I don't think you will like the container size. I believe the choices are a drum or a 1200 L pallet. So, tig1 and I saved you the phone call.
wink.gif

When I called XM tech they did say they have an oil for diesel BMWs. I didn't enquire.

I've used both and both seem to work just fine.
You're comparing two known good oils, not some off brand to a recognized quality oil.
I've found both of these oils to be quiet in use in the 0W-20 grade, FWTW.
I'd have no hesitation in using either one with no real preference either way.
I get chided in threads for claiming that there are real advantages in the basestocks and add packs of big brand oils, but these differences are real.
In comparing two such oils, the differences in actual use are probably miniscule.
AFE might be better if you lived in an area where way below 0F temperatures were common, but you don't and at the lows of around -15F we see around here there probably isn't any difference either.
In short, use either PP or AFE with complete confidence.

When I called XM tech they did say they have an oil for diesel BMWs. I didn't enquire.

We have such a product on our shelves, too. Our Mobil Super 3000 products, however, are generally blends or synthetics geared to shops, covering common specs, with quantities usually in bulk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back