Thoughts on going to 5w20 this winter in my Vibe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Realize winter is a long way off, but I like to think ahead a bit.

2007 Vibe with 127K. Fed a steady diet of 5w30 since purchased.

Toyota TSB says 5w-20 is okay in the 1ZZ-FE in my model year.

Car has never used a drop of oil on 5w30.

Last winter there were temps many times of -22F, -10F, etc. and the car doesn't have a block heater and at this time in the car's life I don't want to purchase and install one. The wife is going to start taking this car over full-time and thought the 20wt oil would warm up faster for her in the mornings.

Do you guys think 5w-20 this late in the car's life would cause some oil usage or excessive engine noise?

If not, what is considered the best extreme cold 5w-20 out there? I use the QSUD the past couple winters in 30wt.

The TSB does mention not going to 0w-20, so that isn't an option, only 5w-20.

Last edited:
Mobil 1 0w20 is guaranteed in 5w20 applications. I would use that. If you are not comfortable with that then use any name brand 5w20 synthetic. Yes, it might cause more noise, yes it might cause more oil usage, but nothing worth noting I am sure.

Originally Posted By: Vibe_2007
Do you guys think 5w-20 this late in the car's life would cause some oil usage or excessive engine noise?

Yes I do.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Mobil 1 0w20 is guaranteed in 5w20 applications. I would use that. If you are not comfortable with that then use any name brand 5w20 synthetic. Yes, it might cause more noise, yes it might cause more oil usage, but nothing worth noting I am sure.

Thanks for the reply. Just not wanting to screw up a good thing I have had going with this car. I'll take a look at the Mobil 1 for sure. Think it is on sale at WalMart for 22.xx for 5 qts.

Might even try it on the next OCI and just track it closely and see what happens.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: WeenieHutJr
What about 0W30?

I'll have to check the specs of the Mobil 1 AFE and compare it to the M1 0w-20, and then compare them both to the QSUD 5w-30 I have been using to see if it they are that much better in sub-zero temps.

Last edited:
You have seven winters experience. Your car is not getting any newer. All things being equal, even in SD, 5W20 offers no practical winter advantage over 5W30. I would not make this change. BTW, I have a 210k Acura and have gone through the same thought process. I have stayed with 5W30. Good luck.

Going from 30W (when hot) to 20W (when hot) will do nothing special for your engine in Winter, because your engine runs at the same temperature year round, once warmed up, thanks to your thermostat and cooling system.

Reducing the cold or winter weight (the left hand 5w- or 0w- part) will help your engine start and warm up more safely and efficiently. Once warmed up the oil's viscosity will reflect the right hand side of the rating.

So really, your question should be about adopting 0w-30 during Winter, and my answer would be "yes, good idea in South Dakota."

A lot of great ideas here. To be honest, I didn't even think of using a 0w-30. Read the bulletin from Toyota and had some tunnel vision from that. Looks like my only choice for a 0w-30 is from Mobil as Quaker State doesn't make one.

After reading some of these replies, it looks like a 0w-30 looks like a great idea.

ETA: I see that Amsoil also makes a 0w-30.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: WeenieHutJr
What about 0W30?

I'll have to check the specs of the Mobil 1 AFE and compare it to the M1 0w-20, and then compare them both to the QSUD 5w-30 I have been using to see if it they are that much better in sub-zero temps.

The only 0w20 and 0w30 in the Mobil lineup is the AFE stuff, unless you want 0w20 EP.

The AFE 0w30 would be a fine choice too.

Explain why that would be bad.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
They should come out with a 0W-0. People aren't gonna be happy until oil has no viscosity at all.

Only at very low temperatures. At something above it does.

Originally Posted By: TomYoung
You have seven winters experience. Your car is not getting any newer. All things being equal, even in SD, 5W20 offers no practical winter advantage over 5W30. I would not make this change. BTW, I have a 210k Acura and have gone through the same thought process. I have stayed with 5W30. Good luck.

Would 2 qts. of 0w20 AFE and 2 quarts of 0w30 AFE be a good compromise? Would this mixture still go 10K? I think it's a good hedge for those not willing to jump all the way into a 0w20.

Your miles are nothing. I switched to 0W-20 in my 1NZ-FE and 5W-20 in my 1MZ-FE many miles ago. You will likely use a bit of the -20 oil as compared to the -30, but in the winter both engines start easier with less noise. You may find the same, I don't know.

Last winter there were temps many times of -22F, -10F, etc. and the car doesn't have a block heater and at this time in the car's life I don't want to purchase and install one. The wife is going to start taking this car over full-time and thought the 20wt oil would warm up faster for her in the mornings.

If not, what is considered the best extreme cold 5w-20 out there? I use the QSUD the past couple winters in 30wt.

actually, the toyota block heater for the 1zzfe is rather simple to install.
no plumbing work needed. been trying to dig through genvibe for the part #... but it's only like $40, basically a little metallic nub that threads into a hole on the "back" side of the block (Diver's side of car, under the air cleaner)

Originally Posted By: earlyre

actually, the toyota block heater for the 1zzfe is rather simple to install.
no plumbing work needed. been trying to dig through genvibe for the part #... but it's only like $40, basically a little metallic nub that threads into a hole on the "back" side of the block (Diver's side of car, under the air cleaner)

You're right. You don't even have to drain coolant. Looks like a small cylindrical void in the engine block and it snaps in. The price I've seen online is 65.99.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back