Thoughts on GM Vortec 4200 engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like you're all stocked up with good oil & filters. As far as cleaning is concerned, you might run 1 round of Auto-RX. With 72K miles on it, I'm sure it wouldn't hurt.

quote:

Originally posted by edvanp:
..Do these engines really take 7 quarts of oil? I see it's spec'd for 5w30.

Yes, they sure do. Congrats on the purchase. Oil/filter changes are pretty easy on the 4.2L. You may find a square plastic access door to remove on the plastic belly pan to get at the drain plug and filter. My door left me some time ago.
mad.gif
Another thing you may want to address is an ATF swap on that 4L60E. I just did a pump out on my 2005 @ 20Kmi. The ATF lines are plumbed solid and E-clips are used to hold the flared fittings into the cooler etc.. Pop the right side (pass side) to do a pump out. I can give you some tips on it if you wish.
cheers.gif
Oh.. and the trans pan is very easy to get at should you want to do a pan drop and filter change & install an a/m pan with a drain plug.
wink.gif

G/luck
Joel

Thanks guys, great info! Is the oil filter kind of messy to change? I read where one guy drills a hole in his, lets the oil out, then unscrews it. Sounds like an easy plan if it's a tight fit that could cause spillage.

I did an oil change on the Envoy I drove a month or two ago. I don't remember the exact position, but I don't think it was anything major. I want to say it was towards the front of the engine up about half-way. Sat at an angle possibly. I just unscrewed and removed it. No big deal.

The oil filter is somewhat awkward at first on the 4.2L. You arm/hand has to go kinda over and up, it's not a clear shot out. It is mounted vertially, open side up, rt side of the block. It is mounted above some chassis and front drivetrain components, so it's removal is not mess free. My 2005 has a plastic 'drip director' up in there that catches the drippings from the filter and sends it in close proximity to the drain plug stream. I have to raise the front end to get my plus sized chassis under! Another item to address is the throttle body. These engines use an electric throttle by wire system. If your idle ever gets funky, get a $3 can of throttle body cleaner and clean around the throttle bore. The TBW system needs to make minute changes to the throttle plate position to maintain idle speed. Sometimes a dirty bore prevents this. The I6 should idle so low and smooth you dont know it's running!

G/luck
Joel

I wouldn't get too excited about the 4200 I6 yet. It's looking like they're going to start having the same head gasket problems and stripped threads in the blocks that the Caddy Northstar engines have been plagued with.
The company that makes the "fix-it" thread inserts for the Northstar already has a thread insert kit for this engine too.
http://www.timesert.com/html/gm.html

I have a 4.2 in my wife's trailblazer. Horrible gas mileage (about 14) decent but not exciting power at high RPM and not much torque to pull you off the line, and I assume towing would have to be all high RPM stuff. I think they claim 270 hp, same as my 4.8 silverado. Silverado will blow it away, and gets better mileage too.

I've had the Vehicle a day now and everyone in the family loves it. Being an Oldsmobile, it has all the creature features.....more things to go wrong I know, but boy when they work :). Smooth ride, quiet, good acceleration. Will do an oil change this weekend and check mileage after that. I know it won't do as well as my regal GS but I won't have to pump in high Octane either.

quote:

Originally posted by another Todd:
I have a 4.2 in my wife's trailblazer. Horrible gas mileage (about 14) decent but not exciting power at high RPM and not much torque to pull you off the line..

Yes the 3.42 gears are too tall for these trucks. They make off the line and low speed driving feel sluggish and dont seem to help the MPG's at all. Most have the 3.42's including mine
frown.gif
. 3.73's and 4.10's come with the higher option packages and make for a much bawlzier truck. Most owners average ~17mpg per tank. 20-22mpg is common per tank for staight hywy travel. I've never seen any reports of head gasket issues with the 4.2L. Their are some owners on TB forums with well over 100Kmi. AFAIK, any all aluminum engine would be a bear to take apart once they get some miles on them. I don't know how you'd keep any of the steel bolts from coming out without the aluminum threads, especially the head bolts.
dunno.gif

G/luck
Joel

MY BIL has an 03 and says it gets terrible gas mileage, something like 15-16mpg highway and maybe 13 all around. He has tow package.

VNT, do you know off hand if your BIL gets his MPG figure off the dash computer (if so equipped) or is he calculating it out over a full tank of gas? It seems most of the MPG complaints on these trucks stem from what the computer says for MPG figures. Calculated it out: miles driven / gallons pumped & he will be much happier with the numbers. All TB’s have a tow package. Even the ‘base’ model is rated to tow 4500lbs.

Joel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back