Thoughts on Cooper A/T3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very admirably in the wet. They evacuate water very well through their channels and factory siping.

Don't expect them to perform miracles in the snow. With 4WD and AWD they will do the job, but they won't make a RWD 2WD Truck/SUV perform any better.

Source: Owned a set for 40k miles on a 2002 Dodge Dakota.

Road noise: Above average
Comfort: Average
Handling: Average
Off Road: Average

If you want my advice I would look towards the General Grabber AT2 or HTS, and Toyo Open Country AT2.

2008 Tacoma 4x4

They were good in rain and light snow, average on ice, and great in deep snow.

I found the Goodyear Wrangler SilentArmor to be the best in in incliment weather without going to a dedicated snow tire. The Michelin LTX M/S2 was a close second. Those are both more expensive though.

'97 4Runner 4x4, 265 75 R16

They are extremely good in the wet, much better than the Michelin LTX M/S that I had before. Also much better in any off road situation than the aforementioned tire.

Never used in snow, I live in the south.

Extremely quiet and smooth on the highway; you'd swear they were regular touring tires.

Overall they are better than the Michelins IMHO.

Originally Posted By: DemoFly
Very admirably in the wet. They evacuate water very well through their channels and factory siping.

Don't expect them to perform miracles in the snow. With 4WD and AWD they will do the job, but they won't make a RWD 2WD Truck/SUV perform any better.

If you want my advice I would look towards the General Grabber AT2 or HTS, and Toyo Open Country AT2.

I have the AT3's on my silverado, agree with much of whats said here.. However, I find them to be very quiet compared to most A/T tires, they handle street duty very, very well. in 4X4 they work very well on snow and mild off road use. My honest opinion of these tires is they are 75% street/ highway tires with 25% decent offroad capabilities.. My silverado sees about 3% off road use so this works out well for me. If your going to do any serious off roading im doubting you'd want this tire, the BFG AT'ko's are the old school industry standard.

with a 2inch lift and the COOPERS in a 31 inch tire i had no trouble cutting through 12-16 inch snow drifts and climbing unplowed grades.. The Kumho's A/T'S i took off were much more off road capable however they were loud and street manners stunk. The AT3'S will get just about anyone with a 4x4 where they need to go.

Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1

I have the AT3's on my silverado, agree with much of whats said here.. However, I find them to be very quiet compared to most A/T tires, they handle street duty very, very well. in 4X4 they work very well on snow and mild off road use. My honest opinion of these tires is they are 75% street/ highway tires with 25% decent offroad capabilities.. My silverado sees about 3% off road use so this works out well for me. If your going to do any serious off roading im doubting you'd want this tire, the BFG AT'ko's are the old school industry standard.

with a 2inch lift and the COOPERS in a 31 inch tire i had no trouble cutting through 12-16 inch snow drifts and climbing unplowed grades.. The Kumho's A/T'S i took off were much more off road capable however they were loud and street manners stunk. The AT3'S will get just about anyone with a 4x4 where they need to go.

To clarify, when I said road noise was above average, I meant road noise decibel level was better than the average A/T tire.

Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1

To clarify, when I said road noise was above average, I meant road noise decibel level was better than the average A/T tire.

100% agree, i find them to be no louder than most street tires.

I was looking for a mild A/T tire or aggressive H/T for my truck that would excel on road and highway and handle winter conditions in michigan very well while still being capable in light off roading (two track, fields, etc). Purchased these last fall and they have been perfect. Could be more aggressive off road, they do not even compare to the BFG I had on old truck but they are not designed for that. Not a dedicated snow tire but pretty much the next best thing.

Over all I am extremely pleased with the compromises this tire has and find it to be a grear all around tire for my daily driver 1/2 ton. Will be curious to see how it wears though.

I've had a set on my Jeep for about 9 months. I really like them. I lost some MPG compared to the horrible OE tires, but that's to be expected. They were great in snow, and have 0 problems in rain. They are louder than Silent Armors. There's a definite "humm" while driving on the freeway (cement).

I have a set of Discoverer A/T3's and a set of Discoverer CTS's...

The A/T3's are great in the snow, and are fine in the rain. In my opinion, they *are* an improvement on a two wheel drive vehicle. I seem to notice a slight bit of wander, when on the open road at highway speeds, that I didn't notice so much with the previous set of tires.

The CTS's are great in the rain, but I've not yet had them in the snow. In the rain, they put the LTX's that I used to have to shame. Time will tell how they perform in the snow.

Originally Posted By: Camprunner
How are they more specifically in the rain and snow?

Instead of posting "how are X tire"

maybe post your application with size(truck car suv etc)
and your priorities

Dry, wet, winter traction
Treadlife
noise/comfort
handling

we might be able to make a suggestion without you having to make a thread for every tire you are looking at.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back