Thoughts on CARQUEST Standard Oil Filters

Having had first hand experience for 5+ years with CQ reds and blues I can tell you I've never had one with any real defects or vehicle running issues. I've seen plenty of abuse thrown at them. Now the country of origin/place of manufacturing seems to be dependent on the vehicle a certain filter is specified for. Most of the normal reds that go on most domestics are made in USA with a few made in Mexico. I have seen a couple of chinese models that have come through and the baseplates are vastly different, but I have no real data on them. They do carry euro car filters that are essentially MANN/HUMMEL filters and are very good quality. I've found most if not all of the CQ filters are larger than anything you'll get at a quick lube that uses mighty or service champ brand filters.

Reactions: JTK
I ordered some for my 1960's Mopars (long style). I hope they willl not be Chinese Junk.

Update, The Car-Quest Filters were made in USA .On the Packing list it was stated as MANN-HUMMEL PUROLATOR.

Attachments

• IMG_20201014_162527060.jpg
    IMG_20201014_162527060.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_20201014_162546178.jpg
    IMG_20201014_162546178.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 62
I am a little concerned because a buddy got one of these in an AAP oil change bundle deal and he asked me to change it out for him. He said that the vehicle it was on began running funny at times and was making more noise than usual. I replaced it with a Denso oil filter and all the issues disappeared.

Of note this Carquest R85040 oil filter did not have a bypass valve. The media appeared to be fine with no tears or abnormal saturation. The oil in it appeared to be clean. I could not bring myself to buy one of these or even use one if it were given to me for free.

20201123_113808.jpg

I am a little concerned because a buddy got one of these in an AAP oil change bundle deal and he asked me to change it out for him. He said that the vehicle it was on began running funny at times and was making more noise than usual. I replaced it with a Denso oil filter and all the issues disappeared.

Of note this Carquest R85040 oil filter did not have a bypass valve. The media appeared to be fine with no tears or abnormal saturation. The oil in it appeared to be clean. I could not bring myself to buy one of these or even use one if it were given to me for free.
Is it the right filter for his car? Maybe they gave the wrong one and it needed a bypass valve - ??.

Back