thoughts on 2004 maxima SL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have thoughts on opinions on this car?

Its the first model year but its whats is for sale. My father is interested in this car. I simply told him I rather him get a 4clyinder camry/accord but they are a few grand more. Reason why i told him that is because, haven been around the VQ motors I know they require prem fuel and aren't the best in MPG. My father is a city driver so that will kill more MPG.

He isn't one to test drive anything. He just wants to go and buy the car. I'm going to look at the car first and make sure everything is on the up and up. I dont know if there are many chassis issues. The VQ35 is something that i know and in MOST cases it runs well. Personally i'm a little interested to see how it compares to my G35x.

I dont hear and read many reviews on the maxima here. Its a timing chain car, that had a small history of burning oil in the 02-03 era. This one is fully loaded.

oh it has a STUPID moonroof.

Last edited:
If it has a 5speed auto in it. Stay away!
It does not require premium fuel.
This gen can be an oil burner.
Rare cases of the cats disintegrating.
Chassi Problems? Yeah they have issues with the rear struts.

My parents had one, bought it new and it totally fell apart before 80k. As mentioned the 5 speed auto is weak and failed, they had a coolant leak, the strut mounts started making noise around 50k, and all kinds of other silly things like lock actuators. They put $5k into it and it got totalled a couple months later.

I am a bit of a Nissan guy myself but I do not personally like that generation of Maxima at all. The autos as stated are problematic and the car is just not as well made as the older ones. I would personally go for an 02-03 6 speed but that's just me. Even the autos in the older generations are quite reliable. My folks had a 2000 with automatic and neither the engine or trans were ever a problem. Traded in this spring at 14 years old, the car was rock solid. I briefly owned a 2002 6 speed and the car was flawless reliability wise. It did burn oil but I just added oil as needed and drove happily. I loved the car.

YMMV on an 04 but I would not buy that year personally.

I would pass. The transmissions in those (non cvt) are not very reliable. Aside from the transmission they are pretty solid cars. And when are moon roofs stupid, I love moonroofs.

I believe up to 2003 those maxima were still built in japan. After the redesign in 2004 where it went to a stretch Altima platform and built in the us it went to [censored]

Originally Posted By: bowlofturtle
Anyone have thoughts on opinions on this car?

Definitely stop by a library and look at Consumer Reports reliability guides. The problem with the internet like this is obviously the lack of the majority experiences, just individual problems that can happen to any make/model from time to time are reported here. You want to know the relative reliability overall.

Originally Posted By: Ram01
I believe up to 2003 those maxima were still built in japan. After the redesign in 2004 where it went to a stretch Altima platform and built in the us it went to [censored]

Yep. The slightly earlier ones were far better.

Check out the car here to see whats what with this car (and others): Car Complaints

Quick look: '04 has more complaints than any other year by far and trans complaints, tenfold over the next closest complaint issue

I know nothing about Nissan or Maximas, but, personally, I'd stay away from this year simply because of the sheer volumes of complaints

Originally Posted By: gregk24
I would pass. The transmissions in those (non cvt) are not very reliable. Aside from the transmission they are pretty solid cars. And when are moon roofs stupid, I love moonroofs.

It's not a conventional moonroof. It is fixed and oriented lengthwise.

I love moonroofs too but this one is just STUPID. The silver car's moonroof is what the maxima has, I think its 1st generation panoramic roofs.

030303a.jpg

Anyways thanks guys for the info on the auto trans. I'll be telling my father to skip over this car.

I wonder what gives, i have a JATCO 5speed auto in my g35 mated to similar engine. I guess maybe the RWD/AWD and FWD trans were designed completely different. I'll admit my auto trans isn't the smoothest but it works.

Originally Posted By: silverrat

It's not a conventional moonroof. It is fixed and oriented lengthwise.

I know what it is, very familiar with it, has two sliding panels inside. I would still rather have one than not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back