Thoughts on 15w-40 in the summer for DPF/SCR deleted VAG 3.0 V6 TDi?

Status
Not open for further replies.
VW/Audi/Porsche 3.0 V6 Tdi - I've been running M1 ESP 5w-30 ever since I bought it at 40k miles - now at 78k, I removed the EGR/DPF/SCR/Urea, and figured I could either saved some $$ on oil changes (been spending $9/quart x 8) and/or find something that can protect even better. The oil temp gauge in the car has shown as high as 275°, but reading through the OBD bus shows that it's never been over 235-240°.

Living in PA, it's not uncommon to get single digit temps in the winter. In the summer, I tow a brick of an extra-height enclosed trailer into the southern states, with air temps often over 90°, so it does work the engine pretty well.

Was thinking about a 15W-40 for the warmer months, and then something like a 5w-xx for the winter (hardly any towing in the winter)...or after more reading, maybe a good 15w-40 wouldn't be bad? Probably stick to a 5k OCI since the on-board computer goes by that, and it bings and bongs like crazy when you go past that.
smirk2.gif

Last edited:
15w-40 is really no slouch.

Just because it doesn't satisfy the tastes of " *synthetic only* snobs" doesn't mean it is NOT a stout oil.

Originally Posted by Linctex
15w-40 is really no slouch.

Just because it doesn't satisfy the tastes of " *synthetic only* snobs" doesn't mean it is NOT a stout oil.

Spoken for truth.

Last edited:
Rotella T5 or T6 would work, switching to one of these on the GL once this run is over. And that Mystik oil looks really really strong, Id normally scoff at a name like that, but the syn blend looked like it held better than the M1 and T6.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Audios
Rotella T5 or T6 would work, switching to one of these on the GL once this run is over. And that Mystik oil looks really really strong, Id normally scoff at a name like that, but the syn blend looked like it held better than the M1 and T6.

Probably going to look for the T6 15w-40 next time around - seems like a safe bet, and still saves me 50%. With the money I save, maybe I'll treat the engine to the RESTORE at the 100k change (and several filters!)
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Eskimo
VW/Audi/Porsche 3.0 V6 Tdi - I've been running M1 ESP 5w-30 ever since I bought it at 40k miles - now at 78k, I removed the EGR/DPF/SCR/Urea, and figured I could either saved some $$ on oil changes (been spending $9/quart x 8) and/or find something that can protect even better. The oil temp gauge in the car has shown as high as 275°, but reading through the OBD bus shows that it's never been over 235-240°.

Living in PA, it's not uncommon to get single digit temps in the winter. In the summer, I tow a brick of an extra-height enclosed trailer into the southern states, with air temps often over 90°, so it does work the engine pretty well.

Was thinking about a 15W-40 for the warmer months, and then something like a 5w-xx for the winter (hardly any towing in the winter)...or after more reading, maybe a good 15w-40 wouldn't be bad? Probably stick to a 5k OCI since the on-board computer goes by that, and it bings and bongs like crazy when you go past that.
smirk2.gif

Buy Toyota Corolla.
On oil question, I would stick to full synthetic. You do not have to go with VW 504.00/507.00 (but for your information, that specification has highest wear requirements, so it is not only DPF compatibility). You can get Shell Rotella T6, Mobil1 5W40 TDT, etc.

Last edited:
At that temp I would definitely want the higher HTHS of a 15w40 especially when towing.

My VM Motori 3.0L Diesel engine showed the best wear results on a 15w40 Synthetic Blend. That was before Rotella T6 came out with a 15w40. Ortherwise I would have gone for that.

I'll soon have another UOA of Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5w40 that I ran over the winter. Just mailed it out today.

Originally Posted by SavagePatch
At that temp I would definitely want the higher HTHS of a 15w40 especially when towing.

My VM Motori 3.0L Diesel engine showed the best wear results on a 15w40 Synthetic Blend. That was before Rotella T6 came out with a 15w40. Ortherwise I would have gone for that.

I'll soon have another UOA of Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5w40 that I ran over the winter. Just mailed it out today.

I would run that if no SCR equipment or DPF anymore.

I run Group 4 synthetic CI4+ Amsoil AME 15w40 for about 10-12k annually, it sees Southern summers and Canadian winters over the course of the year, in a non DPF non EGR diesel that uses a 15m Donaldson lube filter.

If CK4 is your flavor - Amsoil also makes a Group 4 syn - 15w40 DME.

Originally Posted by edyvw

Why is that?

Originally Posted by edyvw

Why is that?

Why I would run that oil or why without SCR and DPF?
1. It is pretty stout oil and allows good cold start still.
2. It still has higher SAPS than what VW wants, so I would avoid it if DPF is still on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back