Thoughts on 0w-30 year round in 6.0L PSD

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am contemplating using 0w-30 year round in my 05 Excursion with a 6.0L Powerstroke, I will be using XD3, T-5 or PC Duron. Factoring in my location, no towing this winter and weekend towing from spring to fall (4 horse trailer or 30' TT)), what are your thoughts?

IF you mean 10w-30, T5 should serve you well with a MC filter. How many miles are you doing per OCI? Other than towing what are you city/highway drives like?

Probably be fine but would make me nervous towing with that in the summer. Sounds like a great choice for the rest of the year though.

Originally Posted By: 5sfe91
IF you mean 10w-30, T5 should serve you well with a MC filter. How many miles are you doing per OCI? Other than towing what are you city/highway drives like?

Up here it is more common to find T-5 in the 0w-30 and 0w-40...actually in my search for some 0w-30 I found 10w-40 in T-5 flavor but no 10w-30 (I did find the dino version in 10w-30)

5K mi OCI, 90%/10% hwy/cty, I get my filters from my local International dealer for much less than Ford charges.

i'm sure the 0w-30 will work fine for you, i've been running 10w-30 year around with stellar uoa's.
it'll definitely like a 0w in your cold mornings

I am going on the fact that the 6.0L Powerstroke shears a 40wt down to 30wt then stops aka put in a 30wt and it does not shear. So I am taking any 40wt's out of the equation.

Somewhere on this site I posted a Rotella 10-30 dino HDEO UOA from my neighbor's 6.0L PSD from some time back.

He runs it year round. No issues whatsoever. Good UOA wear numbers and all else stayed in good shape.

Most people fear the dreaded "shear" of vis, but it's becoming evident that the HEUI simply prefers a lighter grade. The HEUI will not shear a 10w-30 nearly as bad as a 15w-40.

I'd say you'd be fine with 0w-30 year round.

Last edited:
It looks like I will have to start doing regular UOA's to show my progress with my plan. I have a bad injector or two right now so my first one will most likely show elevated fuel dilution #'s.

What I do find interesting is when I put the specs of the T-5 and XD3, it looks like T-5 is a better oil (0w-30 and 0w-40 but my emphasis is on the 0w-30)even though XD3 uses PAO basestock. Would this lead anyone to believe that there is some PAO in T-5 or is there another good reason?

http://www-static.shell.com/static/can-en/downloads/shell_for_businesses/oils_lubricants/1-55.pdf

http://www-static.shell.com/static/can-en/downloads/shell_for_businesses/oils_lubricants/1-54.pdf

http://www.imperialoil.ca/Canada-English/Files/Products_Lubes/IOCAENCVLESEsso_Xd-3_extra.pdf

According to the Esso tech, 0-30 XD3 is good for use agriculturally/heavy duty use up to ambient temp of 90F or 35C.

My brother in law is using 0-30 XD3 all year round in 3 John Deeres, our temps here do reach 90F+ at times over mid summer.

Cyprs

If I could get that 0W30 XD3 down here for a reasonable price-it would be in EVERYTHING I have-it would drastically improve starting & cold flow, and would probably be good for at least a 3% MPG improvement over 15W40, especially in winter.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
If I could get that 0W30 XD3 down here for a reasonable price-it would be in EVERYTHING I have-it would drastically improve starting & cold flow, and would probably be good for at least a 3% MPG improvement over 15W40, especially in winter.

Have you tried going to a Mobil bulk dealer? They may be able to get some XD3 for you or at least some Delvac 1 ESP 0w-40.

Originally Posted By: Cyprs
According to the Esso tech, 0-30 XD3 is good for use agriculturally/heavy duty use up to ambient temp of 90F or 35C.

My brother in law is using 0-30 XD3 all year round in 3 John Deeres, our temps here do reach 90F+ at times over mid summer.

Cyprs

I messed up and didn't pull a sample and send it off last month...I did some towing in the mountains, hit a week in the mid 90's while city driving with my last fill of 0w-30 XD3 (5500mi OCI). I was just more excited to try out my new stash of T-5 I guess.

My brother in law told me over summer he was going to do a UOA on this XD3 0-30, he uses his Deeres pretty hard on a feed lot operation. Reason he is using 0-30 XD3 (Polar Plus) is because I got him on a UFA sell out of Polar Plus XD3 0-30 syn oil for $2.00 per litre, (65% off), the 0-40 was long gone as I got the bulk of it.

My brother in law called the Esso tech and was told the 0-30 is good to 90F on agricultural use which is pretty heavy duty use, I will let you know if he ever gets a UOAs done, he is running hundreds hours and changing out filters regularly, looking into bypass filter system too.

Cyprs

Tuckman, what are you getting mpg on your 86 Toyota? I just got the same truck in 4X4 this summer, 160,000 kms on it. I am running 0-30 XD3 in it, I do have stock of 0-40 XD3, does this 22R do better on heavier oil? I am running the Donaldson P169071 high efficiency oil filter, (about $15.00 special order at Napa, I also bought a B2HPG (high performance glassmedia) Baldwin too for about $11.00 on spring sale at Serv/Agro) I plan on long OCIs with these filters and XD3. Olympic was doing 40k OCI on Toyota engine with great success, dont know if I will go that far. How far are you pushing your OCI on your 22R?

Cyprs

Originally Posted By: Cyprs
Tuckman, what are you getting mpg on your 86 Toyota? I just got the same truck in 4X4 this summer, 160,000 kms on it. I am running 0-30 XD3 in it, I do have stock of 0-40 XD3, does this 22R do better on heavier oil? I am running the Donaldson P169071 high efficiency oil filter, (about $15.00 special order at Napa, I also bought a B2HPG (high performance glassmedia) Baldwin too for about $11.00 on spring sale at Serv/Agro) I plan on long OCIs with these filters and XD3. Olympic was doing 40k OCI on Toyota engine with great success, dont know if I will go that far. How far are you pushing your OCI on your 22R?

Cyprs

My Toyota is just a short tripper now as work is only 5 miles from home, so it idles lots in the winter. I actually stopped checking the mileage but the last I checked I was getting between 9 and 10L/100km mostly highway with XD3 0w-40. I am doing a 1 year oci now (approx 3k mi) and I am pretty sure I could extend it but I do idle it lots in the winter.

Are the Toyota motors they are running 40k oci's on timing chain or timing belt motors, if they are getting 40k with a timing chain motor like our 22r's I would give 15k a shot first go (but that's just me).

I feel that my 22re liked the 0w-40 better than 0w-30 once at operating temps, I do have 270,xxxkm on it. The oil pressure at idle is a bit higher with the 40wt and these motors already have a low idle psi so every little bit helps helps. There was an old service bulletin from Toyota I read that stated to use 10w-40 on 22r and re motors if complaints of low oil pressure (something along that line). My neighbor also has a 22re in his truck and he has been running 49 North 5w-40 and noticed the pressure difference @ idle.

thanks Tuckman, about 15k is my yearly clicks on this Toyota, I dont want to extend past a year either. thanks for info.

Cyprs

Originally Posted By: Hemi426
Go Rotella Synthetic T6 5w-40 instead.

It does not have the extreme cold performance I need or want, I get down to -50C range at times in the winter.

I was specifically asking a question about 0w-30 oils not what oil weight to use.

Last edited:
As cold as it gets in your area, I can see the use of a 0w-30.

I would not worry about the "heat" of summer; a 30 grade will be just fine in your area.

As I have said before, my neighbor uses dino 10w-30 in his 6.0L PSD in our area year round, and it gets into the high 90 deg F range in our area. I use it in my Dmax year round as well, including pulling my travel trailer in summer in the heat of the plain states. Both of us have seen fine performance as verified with UOAs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back