Thoughts About Wheels

Originally Posted by userfriendly
The tires you have on there now, falken Wild Peak MTs appear that they could use a wider wheel. Too narrow of a wheel vs tire size, wears out the middle of the tire..
The wheels and tires are OEM and thus far are wearing just fine.

White steelies are the only way to go!

Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
Originally Posted by userfriendly
The tires you have on there now, falken Wild Peak MTs appear that they could use a wider wheel. Too narrow of a wheel vs tire size, wears out the middle of the tire..
The wheels and tires are OEM and thus far are wearing just fine.

Narrow wheels are better off road. Way too easy to debead a wider wheel for the same size tire when deflated. I'm running a 285 tire on a 16x7 wheel and even then I feel the wheel is too wide.

Those wheels look good. They aren't full on black which is ugly in my opinion. They are NOT out of place. If anything is out of place, it's the red bits.

17" x 7.5" on an LT285 is fine (fully machined bead) … Jeep knows what they are doing …

Originally Posted by skyactiv
Those wheels look good. They aren't full on black which is ugly in my opinion. They are NOT out of place. If anything is out of place, it's the red bits.

What is ugly is Overkill's tires on that nice monotone black ride …

Black Satin is not the greasy look … great product

www.griotsgarage.com/product/black+satin+tire+coating

Last edited:
Originally Posted by skyactiv
They are NOT out of place. If anything is out of place, it's the red bits.
Thanks for that. Not easy to see, but the red bits are Jeep images and they do serve a practical purpose--I have Gorilla system locks (every lug nut is a lock) + I have a separate set of 5 Gorilla locks.

The different lock is positioned above the red Jeep on every wheel and the key to those has a red stripe around it making it easy to know which is which.

Your wheels look great. I really am not a fan of black wheels but they look good on your Jeep. There are too many people that get out the black spray paint and presto you have black wheels for $6.00. On Corvettes I like polished or chrome the best but your Jeep looks awesome and the green color is very unique.

Lost me on Gorilla system … So 25 nuts (or 23) that take a key … but 5 individual keys … ?

Originally Posted by 4WD
Lost me on Gorilla system … So 25 nuts (or 23) that take a key … but 5 individual keys … ?

No; 23 total lugnuts with 18 using one key and 5 using another key (two keys). I place the 5 above the red Jeep image on each wheel so I always know where the different lugnuts are.

Make sense?

Ok … sounds like these are popular with crooks in Houston … !

Last edited:
Originally Posted by nwjones18
I like them how they are, but I'm a 'stock is beautiful' kinda guy. Also not a huge fan of black wheels.

I'm not too crazy about black wheels but lately all manufacturers are following that fad.

Originally Posted by 4WD
Ok … sounds like these are popular with crooks in Houston … !
I liked the spline design of the Gorilla lugnuts and I had the set of 5 before I bought the full kit, so I made use of both.

I'm late to this party... and can see why the OP would question it. With black wheels I appreciate a silver ring, and the oem tried that, except it's not really a ring. The silver is some weird shape, and it's thick. It throws my eye a bit.

But, I'm also not a big fan of pumped out offsets and wide wheels, they don't drive as well, scrub radius gets messed up, tramlining and squirrely braking all become a thing to contend with or figure out when too many things are changed.

I've seen those wheels in full black on the rubicons and they don't look bad... if nothing else they are in style today. If the silver bothered me, I'd be tempted to paint them full black or even look for a set of oem take-offs in grey for not much money. The oem wheels tend to be lighter and stronger than most aftermarket wheels, and even with 33" tires, wheel weight will change the daily driving in these. I've made the mistake of modding a truck out of its practical daily use before and sorta learned from that.

Beautiful Jeep! Enjoy it!

M

You may be late to the party meep, but I think your post is the best one so far.

Black wheels are not a fad or fashion statement any more than chrome, body matching color or a combination of are.

Back