thought you guys might get a kick out of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
i checked my ebay today and see a question from a user.
they asked a very rude question about a shipping price error in one of my listings. obviously im not going to ship a set of wheels out for $3. you cant even send a book for $3, but this person wanted the $3 shipping price as if i was walmart and had some sort of error_in_pricing_policy. they were very, very rude about how they went about asking the questions, so heres my final answer to them.

my conflicting shipping prices are because of a simple omission of the digit "6" in the auction description. although i did miss this, the error should have been painfully obvious to any person of reasonable intelligence. none the less, you felt a need to ask about the shipping which indicated youre own level of intelligence and i have responded. is there anything else i can help you with? you think i should go ahead and give you the wheels with the $3.00 shipping price to reward youre assiduousness personality? perhaps i should give it to you for free and pay for the shipping myself?

nah. i think ill just block ya from bidding on any of my auctions. i reviewed youre feedback and i believe i can recognise youre type. youre one of those ebayers who make life difficult for everyone else just because you can. you expect to get everything fast and cheap and with little work on youre own part. i have a brother in law that is similar to you, and i very much dislike him.
im blocking youre user id from bidding on any of my auctions. thanks for playing the game, but take this reality check and wake up. goodbye!

so thats it. (and i did block him or her).

youre = your for most of your references

smile.gif

People have unrealistic and petty demands nowadays.
A person just sued the church for a bad sermon by the priest, around here. For real.
So I guess blocking that guy is smart.

Well done.

Sounds like the kind of moran who has seen Ford's new ad campaign, "Swap Your Ride" and would go into a dealership demanding they take his old clunker and give him a brand new car, just because he inferred something from an ad.

I may be in the minority here but if you advertised shipping for $3.00 you should have only charged $3.00. Mistake or not, maybe you will learn to double check your listing next time. In real world business that would be false advertisement. Ebay shipping prices are way exaggerated anyhow and everyone know this, maybe this person did take advantage, but ---- you have some people also shipping for free just for buying what they are selling. Not trying to start a pizzing contest, just my opinion and it is worth what you paid for it.

I've bought things from eBay with free shipping before so it's not unreasonable to see legitimate $3.00 shipping. If it was advertised as 3 dollar shipping and somebody won the auction then the winner should only be charged 3 dollars. If the auction is still ongoing then you will need to revise the description and mention the mistake as I don't think once listed you are able to revise shipping options.

As for the rudeness of the question, I would not stoop to their level and be as rude or ruder than them. That's not a good business practice.

The English language and it's usage at it's finest. Grammar does matter.

Not that I'm as perfect as mori or MarkC, however in one or two lines, you could have easily made your point, and then asked him to split the difference. After all, it was your mistake.

I too would have assumed that if you listed $3.00 you meant $3.00. Doubt that I'd have even questioned untill after I'd won. Then we'd have had aREAL problem!

Bob

If I see set of wheels or any other cumbersome blivet and excessively low shipping cost I'll suspect a typo and ask the vendor for clarification before bidding.

Quote:

I may be in the minority here but if you advertised shipping for $3.00 you should have only charged $3.00. Mistake or not, maybe you will learn to double check your listing next time. In real world business that would be false advertisement. Ebay shipping prices are way exaggerated anyhow and everyone know this, maybe this person did take advantage, but ---- you have some people also shipping for free just for buying what they are selling. Not trying to start a pizzing contest, just my opinion and it is worth what you paid for it.

Totally agree with this. You made the mistake. You eat it. Don't blame others for your mistakes.

Quote:

Quote:

Totally agree with this. You made the mistake. You eat it. Don't blame others for your mistakes.

Pete, I normally agree with you, but not this time. It is true that there are numerous grammatical and typing errors in the ebay posting and response, but this is EBAY, and not professional retailing. If we had accidently listed such a mistake in our advertising, we would have immediately posted a correction as soon as it was discovered.

False advertising and mistakes are two different things... and taking advantage (or attempting to) of someone because of a mistake is not only in poor taste, but unethical, IMHO.

twocents.gif

Dave, you certainly have a right to disagree. I just believe in taking responsibility for your own mistakes, regardless of circumstances. If I make a purchase decision based on the facts presented to me, and then someone changes those facts, I feel cheated. People play around with shipping prices on eBay all the time in order to make their auctions more attractive or just to screw the potential buyer. How is one supposed to know what is a mistake and what isn't?

And I guess I don't have as much problem with the OP making a mistake in the first place as with the rude way he went about responding to someone who brought it to his attention (in whatever way).

Quote:

If I see set of wheels or any other cumbersome blivet and excessively low shipping cost I'll suspect a typo and ask the vendor for clarification before bidding.

Same here. It would send up a flag that something was "unright". I would want any issues clarified before it came to a nasty ending after I won the auction.

I want a fair deal in every transaction that I do on ebay. I don't want to pull a coup or "take advantage" of a situation that I know is "unright". Now I'm certainly not going to offer MORE money for being the only one bidding on something worth $40 with an unchallenged bid of $0.99 ..but I would deny no vendor his due on reasonable shipping charges due to a typo ..and I never bid on an item that has "unspecified" listed for shipping without contacting the vendor.

As far as how I would have dealt with this person ..I don't know. I do look at how vendors deal with problems. I didn't buy from one vendor due to his approach to problem resolution. I wouldn't recommend using stuff "Another dead beat" "another loser who can't read the bold print" and so on. It shows your basic contempt for people in general and that you have no stability when something throws you off balance. I've admired the higher volume vendors that keep their composure when pressed. They give flat, factual, feedback and leave it at that "Tried to resolve to no avail" "Could not come to terms- refunded money" etc.

I had to ask one high volume vendor 3 times for him to answer me. He had a good feedback rating. His reply to me was that he didn't have time for stupid questions. You know I'd never spend a dime with that jerk. I did thank him for his most gracious response and said "have a nice day" ..which usually adds some more frustration and tension to an otherwise miserable person.
grin.gif

Quote:

The English language and it's usage at it's finest. Grammar does matter.

Not that I'm as perfect as mori or MarkC, however in one or two lines, you could have easily made your point, and then asked him to split the difference. After all, it was your mistake.

Don't worry, P. You'll be fully evolved one day!
tongue.gif

I see gross overcharges for shipping and handling everyday on eBay. I never question the seller when the shipping charge seems out of line. I usually move on. Why would I question someone when the charges seem to be favorable to the buyer?

My experience has shown me that lower shipping charges will result in a higher bid price and higher shipping charges will result in a lower bid price. Most eBayers are savvy enough to consider the "total" price to get the goods to their door.

A lesson learned at a cost is usually a lesson well learned.

May it work out for you,

Joat

Sure, Joat. We're all used to the $39 item with $165 S&H for a $247 (retail) item. We're also used to the starting bid of $47 with a BUY IT NOW of $49 ..with a FLAT (and usually too high) S&H that jeeeest tips the scale toward bargain hunters NOT buying it. Everyone figures total price and bid accordingly. Having a ridiculously low S&H number ..in some vacuum of reasoning, is no assurance that you'll offset that lack of expense in realized gain bidwise. It's fine for commodities that don't have speculative worth. That is, they're paralleling the retail marketplace in REAL costs. Show me a sandwich oil cooler from an 80's Ford product and I'll go $40-$45 delivered. If it goes above that, someone else wants it more. You can tell a seller that's already researched the typical bid on stuff (my $40-$45 delivered)..and starts it there in their combination of costs. I don't even look at those auctions.

Bring us a revelation ..an epiphany.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back