Those who do long OCI's(>7500 miles)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you guys notice a difference in how your engine runs after an oil change?? I ask this because I changed my oil today after 10 months and 5000 miles and I wasnt even paying attention when I took the car out for a spin for no apparent reason and half way thru my drive I realized how much smoother my car runs. I know some will say that it is a "placebo" effect but when that is the furthest from your mind and you realize it, there must be some truth to it. FYI, the car is a 2006 Lexus ES330 and has gotten a steady diet of Pennzoil Platinum, now with 37,000 miles. Anybody besides me feel the same way?

I don't notice a difference but I'm sure it's possible with some engines.
grin2.gif

Yes and no, depends on the engine.

BMW m30 inline-6: definitely notice a difference
Merceded m104 inline-6: little bit, but not much (might be in my head)
Dodge 4.7: not at all

Fuel economy starts to drop off at the end of my 7500 mile OCI. That is the only thing I notice. But, only by .1 or .2 on average.

I just went 6 months and about 2000 miles on my 2003 Nissan Frontier 3.3V6 supercharged an I noticed a big differentce!
(6 months would be extended for me as I am usually very 3/3000 - but as little as I now drive I've extended my OCI)

(was using Fram Extended Guard Filter and RP now Napa Gold and PP)

Regarding the sounds, I think there's an exaggerated perception. Often, the last sound you hear before the OC is the hot engine at idle. When compared to the post OC condition - a warm-ish engine pumping cold oil, you'd somewhat expect the thicker oil to dampen the various engine noises and produce a 'quieter, smoother' sound.

As for altered driving 'feel,' it seems possible if the old oil was highly sheared or diluted. (?)

Last edited:
I know there is a noticable difference before and after the rinse phase of a Auto RX run is changed out!

As far as 3/3000 or 6/5000 I have never really noticed. There was this one time I went from 5w20 to Maxlife 10w30 just to check it out. I could tell a difference, the Taurus idled smoother.

Originally Posted By: Geonerd
Regarding the sounds, I think there's an exaggerated perception. Often, the last sound you hear before the OC is the hot engine at idle. When compared to the post OC condition - a warm-ish engine pumping cold oil, you'd somewhat expect the thicker oil to dampen the various engine noises and produce a 'quieter, smoother' sound.

As for altered driving 'feel,' it seems possible if the old oil was highly sheared or diluted. (?)

We will find out. I do a UOA on every oil change. Its become an expensive hobby. As for cold oil being heavier, I dont know about that because the car was fully warmed up and it hit 90 degrees here today. I dunno.

Originally Posted By: deven
Interesting. Anybody here that own a toyota product and do extended OCI? See any difference?

Yes i do. A lot of it could be in my head with the out with the old, and in with the new. But they seem to run quieter.

07 4.0 4runner--much quieter after change. ASL 5W30.
07- 5.7 tundra--smoother sounding. ASL 5W30, SSO next OCI.
08- corolla--quieter and smoother. ASL 5W30-EAO, SSO next.
08- GMC savanna--quieter and smoother. ASL 5W30-EAO

All get 1 yr intervals regardless of mileage. Each vehicle might get 12k per year, with exception going to the corolla at 15-20k.

I noticed big difference in engine smoothness and improved gas mileage after changing recommended 0W40 to xW20 in MB E430. With heavier oil, I can clearly hear engine noise at idle when I was at red light, now all I hear is silent with M1 0W20 and the same engine quietness with PP 5W20 I had in it last year.

i'm 16k into my oil and feel no difference. The engine noise and fuel mileage have stayed the same. I got one more month to hit the 1year mark.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back