Those interested in finding out GC's composition.....come in!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am on the second OCI using GC in the Land Rover Discovery. Feels smooth, especially quiet in the valvetrain area. Have used M1 0W40 previously with good UOA, and may try M1 T&SUV next. Sent my contribution today, have been away from the board and only just discovered this most informative and entertaining thread. The poetry is wonderful...
cheers.gif

PuddlePirate....

welcome.gif

Once I went a-sailing,
PuddlePirate at my side,
There was a storm a-brewing,
So we knew it would be quite a ride

But steadily onward we did press
Because we knew in port we soon would be
Where we'd be met by the BITOG faithful
To help us offload litres and quarts of GC!

cheers.gif

[ April 09, 2005, 08:21 PM: Message edited by: pscholte ]

I'm sorry if this question sounds like a newby question, but I gather you guys are talking about a version of Castrol oil? Can you spell out for me exactly which type of Castrol...which weight it comes in, color of bottle, what it says on the bottle so that I know I'm getting the right stuff.

Thanks again,

BtB

PS. Anybody want me to pick up a couple extra cases for you?...
wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Bob The Builder:
I'm sorry if this question sounds like a newby question, but I gather you guys are talking about a version of Castrol oil? Can you spell out for me exactly which type of Castrol...which weight it comes in, color of bottle, what it says on the bottle so that I know I'm getting the right stuff.

"German Castrol" ("GC") is Castrol Syntec 0w-30 which comes in a black bottle. The rear of the label states "Made in Germany". If it DOES NOT say "Made in Germany", it's not GC. There is still "Made in the USA" Syntec 0w-30 out there on store shelves, my local AutoZone has some. IIRC, it is also a black bottle but it has yellow writing on the label versus GC's red writing. One other thing, it's only sold at AutoZone stores in the U.S. Happy hunting!

Here's a picture of the rear label of a GC bottle:
 -

quote:

"German Castrol" ("GC") is Castrol Syntec 0w-30 which comes in a black bottle. The rear of the label states "Made in Germany". If it DOES NOT say "Made in Germany", it's not GC. There is still "Made in the USA" Syntec 0w-30 out there on store shelves, my local AutoZone has some. IIRC, it is also a black bottle but it has yellow writing on the label versus GC's red writing. One other thing, it's only sold at AutoZone stores in the U.S. Happy hunting!

Here's a picture of the rear label of a GC bottle:

--------------------
'05 Subaru Impreza WRX STi

Thank you! BtB

quote:

Originally posted by glxpassat:
Hey, I'm in on this action! Can't wait to find out what that green stuff is!

Okay dumb queston, I know:

Since GC green has been re-formulated and has been turned into gold (04 to 05) why are we still concentrating on figuring out what the green is?

Should we switch to figuring out what the gold is because that is what is going to be available?

Yes, I was in for the green and I would donate again for the gold, too...

cheers.gif

Bob W.

quote:

Originally posted by TheFuror:

quote:

Hey, I'm in on this action! Can't wait to find out what that green stuff is!

Since GC green has been re-formulated and has been turned into gold (04 to 05) why are we still concentrating on figuring out what the green is?

Should we switch to figuring out what the gold is because that is what is going to be available?

cheers.gif

Bob W.

The green test was most of the way done and already paid for when the gold came out. Too late to stop it.
I would have to agree though, the gold should be tested, but I would wait for a few UOA's to see if you can tell from that if it is the same or not.

quote:

Originally posted by blupupher:
Originally posted by TheFuror:
[qb]
[qb] Hey, I'm in on this action! Can't wait to find out what that green stuff is!

cheers.gif

I would be more than
fruit.gif
to donate more to the cause of a test for the NEW Gold Castrol!

This site has taught me more than my brain can hold on too already, but I'm willing to gather more info on the future of my auto's.
grin.gif

GC on The Brain
fruit.gif

SAL, this test began before the gold GC hit the market, and I definitely would love it if we could see if the gold GC uses the same trick chemistry for it's base oil!

I threw in $10 originally, so I'd be perfectly happy if yall tested the gold.

That is if Terry and Molakule are up to it. Second time around should be easier.

what is the status of this test? I would like to contribute if the test is still needing funds.

Someone let us know what is up with this test!!

Jake

i'd be interested in a testing of the gold to see if it is the same as the green- though, one would think if VOAs are the same for the gold as they are for the green, then they *should* be the same oil... but then again.. there are still tons of folks convinced that Mobil 1 T&SUV and Delvac 1 are different, even though they have the same VOA.

anyhoo, i'd be willing to pitch on it.

MDOCOD said:
quote:

i'd be interested in a testing of the gold to see if it is the same as the green- though, one would think if VOAs are the same for the gold as they are for the green, then they *should* be the same oil...

If you did a little research on this board, you would see that the VOAs are different for green and gold, hence, why all the speculation about the gold.

Gold has half the calcium offset by an increase in magnesium (along with other more minor differences apparent from just the VOA).

Regards,

Rich

Just tuned in after being away for a couple years. Where the results of this study ever published or did the test never complete?

Edit: Nevermind, I just read some other threads about this topic
smile.gif

[ September 20, 2005, 02:46 AM: Message edited by: Giles ]

Has anyone ever tested the Belgium made Castrol?

BTW:If your having difficulty finding GC and near Pontiac Michigan the Autozone there has it in stock. Couldn't tell you what color it is though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back