Those interested in finding out GC's composition.....come in!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:

quote:

So these "unique" esters.... are they better than what you would encounter in Mobil 1 or other oils? Does different mean "good"

These esters were developed in German labs between approx. 1991 and 2000 and have been improved upon since then. There are two flavors of these esters, both derived from PAO olefin polymers.

It is believed these esters are responsible for the AW and FM performance of GC wihout the inclusion of triborates and molys.

Not necessarily good, just different. With the levels of zddp and calcium, and the high viscosity PAO bases, the formulation appears to be a good one.

Why are these esters not used in any Castrol motor oils other than the German made 0w30? Or are they?
Do you think these esters are the primary reason for the oil's good performance?

The esters we are still studying are for lubrication primarily, not cleaning like Auto-RX.

Zoil as a lube formula still is focused like all PCMO's on lubing not cleaning.

I highly recommend using our oil analysis to determine when to clean with Auto-RX to optimize cleanliness.

I still add LC to my Zoil when used to control oxidation, and it is very oxidatively stable on its own.

As far as one or both of these sourced esters in the other forms of Zoil I doubt it for 2 reasons, 1) they are expensive,2) the Zoil sample we are testing was made in Europe.

The testing can only address the ZOil that was tested not the whole line of other oils. If through this testing we can ID that possibility I will surely share it here.

Remember the test is not finished and the final results are not complete. I will share more about viscosities,bases, adds, including ester adds and bases.

The key for now that I wanted to get across to all here is that this PAO based oil uses PAO based esters that are not normally seen in the popular GRP4 PCMO's.

Harry thanks for contributing to the effort.

Hopefully through this process we can ID other lube formulas and get people the data that they need to make prudent and value based decisons about lubricants. Especially considering the fuel cost critical times, something Dyson Analysis has been doing for a long time.

banghead.gif
I'm going nuts. This thread is making me want to leave work and head to the nearest AZ
lol.gif

So why would Castrol want to use an ester that's more expensive? Why not just use esters that are already avalible? There must be some reason for using it over the others. Are there any other specific industries that use such a thing?

[ March 23, 2005, 12:29 PM: Message edited by: glxpassat ]

I HAVE to tell you...the Elves are LOVING this...they wish you all a Happy Easter and wish to say they feel deliriously
fruit.gif

quote:

So why would Castrol want to use an ester that's more expensive? Why not just use esters that are already avalible? There must be some reason for using it over the others. Are there any other specific industries that use such a thing?

First off, these esters are COMPLEX (see Interesting Articles section on white papers), and very viscous esters, and have been used in industrial gear lubes for at least the last decade.

My suspicion (theory) is that a German company is blending this for Castrol using those complex esters supplied by certain German additive (elf factory) companies.
grin.gif

Germans seem to like motor oils with cutting-edge chemistry.

Thanks Molakule! Now, I know why my engine runs so smooth and quite. So, in your opinion, is Castrol making any money importing this stuff to the states, and could an equivalent mix be made here for $4-5 a quart?

The Elves! The Elves!
Put Elixer on our shelves.
They give it a sheen...
And make it green.
Our engines purr...
Now that's for sure.
So keep this in mind...
Since the Elves are kind...
They'll keep the Green alive...
Right into '05.

I truly apprecite al the efforts here guys. There is a lot of buzz about 2 different GCs now. I hope whatever we get in the future is sourced from Germany. If so, it will of course, be top-quality. This fluid has given a bump to Castrol and even maybe given them the edge in the USA. People should take Castrol more seriously. Anyway, people are STILL grumbling about G-III base and Castrol "ripping people off". I want to just repost this rant in which I explain why it doesn't matter, or "I don't really care" what GC is made of, beyond novelty value. I owe BitOG for a lot of learing and rational thinking excercises.
Thanks.

quote:

I honestly don't care what GC is made of. For professionals, it's important info. For oil buffs, it's interesting but for most consumers who just want high-end oil, the mfg specs are enuff to get the nod. This is how Audi dealers are selling the BC 5w-40, it's "good enough". I am somewhere in the middle of finding it interesting, because of my backround in H&SS makes me want to know the underlaying truths about products and not really caring. Also, because I have the responsibility of caring for a lot of expensive cars, I should know what works best and is cost/effective. Anyway, the fact is that GC is imported and exclusive in a non-mailorder sort of way. I really don't care what it is made of if it works and carries the approvals that take away the burden using it "of my own volition". I only care in as much as it is interesting. One thing I have learned here and by reading ALL the primary pleadings in the Mobil v Castrol case is that "synthetic" as a chemical definition IS met by the hydrocrack process. The everyday meaning is derived from Latin suntithenai "to put together" and implies something different. The chemical reference materials state that the substance merely be "changed substantially" to be defined as undergoing " synthesis ". Castrol was right, get over it. BTW- I would snatch up any Euro oil that was locally available and latest technology!!! It just so happens it's green and smells nice, all the better. OEM fill in Audis too. I did not come here with any brand loyalties and like Castrol, but usually buy Mobil, except for GC.

I alway like to post this little linky for the nay-sayers.

http://www.castrol.com/castrol/genericarticle.do?categoryId=82916482&contentId=6005377

I'm not a GC user but I was thinking of giving it a go based on the results posted here. Now I'm going to wait again. It's nice to know that there's a good reason for its great results, super-esters, but we have no idea if they're in the gold. I like the idea of the base oil being good enough to function well without heavy adds. If the gold tests as special I may try it but for now, it's just another good oil. If it's grp3 and super-ester, that wouldn't bother me. I bet the results would be similar. No super-esters would. I'd like to think that super-esters and super POAs (supersyn) are going to continue to become more common.

quote:

Originally posted by Shifter:
Note to Canadians: All grades of Castrol Syntec, including made-in-Germany 0W-30 grade, is on sale this week at Canadian Tire stores.

How much off?

Note to Canadians: All grades of Castrol Syntec, including made-in-Germany 0W-30 grade, is on sale this week at Canadian Tire stores.

quote:

Originally posted by BlazerLT:

quote:

Originally posted by Shifter:

How much off?

It's $6.36 per liter this week. Regular price is $7.49 at CT (or $7.12 at Walmart)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back