those first few seconds after you changed the oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I helped a friend changed his oil on car the other day. Everything went smooth, he was shocked at how easy and simple it was.

One thing he didn't like was the noise the engine right when you start it up. You know that 1-2 second sound of a dry engine before the oil gets pumping. Well he started freaking out and asking me how to avoid it and if any damage is done. Why he hears this after the oil change but not after the car sat overnight.

I've done many oil changes in my life, but i never recalled hearing a engine start up like his 2010 camry did, those 2 seconds. I know the sound and this one was just louder and bad sounding. The cars in my sig all dont sound like that, I know it takes a few seconds to oil to circulate, I prelubed a little into his oil filter housing and the rest was just poured down the oil filler hole.

What else can be done?

Last edited:
Did this Camry have a cartridge filter?

My 2011 Prius will make a pretty nasty rattle for the first few seconds after an oil change; it's worse than any other car that I've changed oil on.

Most of my cars do this regardless if I fill the oil filter with oil or not. Even on the filter that mount straight upward('06 Mazda 3i w/2.0L), still rattles for those few seconds of startup right after an OCI. And yes, I even fill the filter with fresh oil.

Happens to me also despite literally filling the filter and giving the media time to soak it up. Dont worry about it, wont cause any issues..it happens when someone else changes the oil for you..its just they take care of the first start for you so you dont hear it!!

Aside from pre-filling the filter there's no way to eliminate it unless you have a pre-luber installed in the vehicle. I have a pre-luber installed in my van since I bought it in 1987. I flip a switch and the pre-luber starts pumping oil before I turn the key. Other than that there's really no easy way I can think of to eliminate that noise if your engine does that after an oil change.

Nothing else you can do. Reassure him that there is still oil on the metal parts and highly doubtful any real damage is done in that short time.
Good for you in showing him how easy it can be.

I dont know if it matters, but I change the oil with speed in mind. Dont really know if it matters, but makes me feel as though I've done all I could.

Fill the filter somewhat but not to the point of spilling. I do not let the used oil drain for more than a few minutes, not hours letting the used oil leave every part, knowing full well a pint or so of spent oil and junk is still in there somewhere hopefully doing some good on start up. And I save the last quart for a quick pour in the oil fill just prior to pulling off the ramps.

First of all, I would not worry too much about the initial start up noise.

I agree with pre-filling the oil filter if it mounts in a vertical or near vertical position. Also, on most modern cars, if you hold the gas pedal to the floor during cranking, the engine won't start. You can crank the engine for a few seconds in this manner to get the oil pump action started, then release the gas pedal and it will start right up, hopefully without the offending noise.

Good luck.

A lot of cars make this noise after an oil change, Ive noticed, these days.

I know when I used to own a car with the Ecotec 4-cylinder, there was a TSB out there somewhere about that dry rattling noise after an oil change where the timing chain tensioner (hydraulic) would cause the chain to make a pretty discernable rattling noise after an oil change, or after starting the car after sitting for an extended period (days). The tensioner took a second or two to "prime".

While that was the cause in that specific engine, I dont find it too hard to believe that engines these days with VVT or hydraulic timing chain tensioners, need a second to prime after a dry start.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bowlofturtle
Well he started freaking out and asking me how to avoid it and if any damage is done.

You do realize that you're now responsible for any engine issues this car has for as long as he owns it, right?

Originally Posted By: Olas
You should fill the filter before you install it

Most likely not possible on this car. Toyota changed most of their filters over to the cartridge style.

Not a Camry, but the basic idea...
9_8_2012_4_09_58_pm.jpg

Now your friend knows what has happened every other time the car has had the oil changed. Nothing can be done in this case, and nothing needs to be done.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
Well he started freaking out and asking me how to avoid it and if any damage is done.

You do realize that you're now responsible for any engine issues this car has for as long as he owns it, right?

X2, if he is the type to freak out about the car, maybe avoid working on his car...
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb..._sh#Post3507592

Don't worry about 2 seconds of a TC tensioner noise. My forester starts with an empty filter at EVERY start, not just after an OC. I don't like it, but that's the engine design.

The engine is not dry for the first few seconds after you change the oil there is oil coating the parts. There is not a volume of oil to work the Hydraulic parts until the oil fills the passages.

So I helped a friend changed his oil on car the other day. Everything went smooth, he was shocked at how easy and simple it was.

One thing he didn't like was the noise the engine right when you start it up. You know that 1-2 second sound of a dry engine before the oil gets pumping. Well he started freaking out and asking me how to avoid it and if any damage is done. Why he hears this after the oil change but not after the car sat overnight.

I've done many oil changes in my life, but i never recalled hearing a engine start up like his 2010 camry did, those 2 seconds. I know the sound and this one was just louder and bad sounding. The cars in my sig all dont sound like that, I know it takes a few seconds to oil to circulate, I prelubed a little into his oil filter housing and the rest was just poured down the oil filler hole.

What else can be done?

The best thing that can be done is ignore the sound.
There is nothing wrong.

When I was doing my own oil changes, I never noticed any abnormal noises after oil change. The time it took for the oil light to go way or stop blinking, that always made me hold my breath though!

Now that a shop does my oil changes, I probably hear lot more first starts after oil change as I hang around in the shop area. I have not heard any car making any noise that I could attribute as "after oil change noise". Granted, I don't hear well from one my ear but I would think I would still be able to notice a distinctive sound.

I believe some of you are probably hearing non-existent noise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back