This will drive you maintenance guys nuts

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Pitbull:

quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:
Amsoil is recommending their synthetic ATF for the Toyota Type T and Type T-IV applications. If I owned a new toyota or lexus, I'd put it in ASAP ....

Tooslick
Dixie Synthetics

The Amsoil won't work with the 2004 5speed automatics that use the WS ATF. I would also be real careful about using what Amsoil recommends without checking with the manufacture. I know when I had a Dodge 1ton with the 6speed manual transmission that Amsoil recommended using their 5-30 synthetic engine oil in the transmission and the manufacture said your warranty would be void if you did. I think Amsoil makes some good products but I think they get carried away with what they think some of it is capable of doing. Since their sales force is a multi-level marketing set-up they get a lot of cheerleaders pushing the product. I would use their synthetic motor oil in my engine. JMHO

Hey Grunt, aviator (turned lawyer) again:

Don't buy into that "using X will void your wty" crap. Under the Moss-Magnuson act, which governs new car warranties, the mfr must prove that the use of a non-approved fluid or part caused the claimed defect before they can deny the claim. Now, you may be asking for a fight, but up-front, in advance "voidings" of warranties are just that -- VOID!!!

quote:

. I know when I had a Dodge 1ton with the 6speed manual transmission [/QB]

Hey Pitbull,
What happened? Why no more Cummins?
RichR
P.S. TS,TDR member.

quote:

Originally posted by RichR:

quote:

. I know when I had a Dodge 1ton with the 6speed manual transmission
Hey Pitbull,
What happened? Why no more Cummins?
RichR
P.S. TS,TDR member. [/QB]

Rich loved both the Cummins that I owned. Just never needed that much truck. I am looking forward to seeing that new Jeep Rescue with the Cummins engine that they are talking about. I do have to admit that my new Toyota 4runner is really a quality machine for the $$. I also love my new Nissan 350Z, real fun to drive.

Going from flying jets to driving a Camry sure must be a kick in the balls.

I would have opted for something a tad sportier to lessen the shock.
cheers.gif

[ July 31, 2004, 01:52 AM: Message edited by: AUG ]

quote:

Originally posted by ekpolk:

Don't buy into that "using X will void your wty" crap. Under the Moss-Magnuson act, which governs new car warranties, the mfr must prove that the use of a non-approved fluid or part caused the claimed defect before they can deny the claim. Now, you may be asking for a fight, but up-front, in advance "voidings" of warranties are just that -- VOID!!!

Reality bites. Reality is that a manufaturer can deny warranty coverage for any reason or non-reason they choose to. If they deny it for unsound illegal reasons, then you stand a chance of getting coverage with a fight.

Unfortunately, the fight can be more time consuming and expensive than fixing the failure. It does keep lawyers employed though.

That said, warranty coverage -usually- won't be denied for trivial reasons. But, please don't give people the impression that there is no risk to not following the terms of the warranty. Whether you get stuck with repair bills or waste a lot of time fighting the car company, the loss of your time and money is still a loss.

If you are going to have a fluid replacement machine service, I would first ask if they intend to replace the filter and clean the pan magnets. Many dealers will try to skip this step or even tell you "there is no filter" on this tranny, and that a flush is sufficient.
It is not!

quote:

Originally posted by Lubricious:
If you are going to have a fluid replacement machine service, I would first ask if they intend to replace the filter and clean the pan magnets. Many dealers will try to skip this step or even tell you "there is no filter" on this tranny, and that a flush is sufficient.
It is not!

I bought a low milage (+/- 50k kms or 30,000 mi) 98 Camry, and the dealer did flushed tranny free, without filter replacemet or magnet clean. I do not think that it is unreasonable for that service until 100,000 kms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back