This video needs to be link at the homepage

Require this mandatory video for each new account registration.

"This video isn't about when you should change your engine oil"

That's literally the primary purpose of UOA's. Is the lubricant suitable for continued use? But he does go over oil life in the video, just an amusing statement.

Otherwise, a good video that goes over some of the basics.

Something important there, which myself and others have touched on, the "3rd party lab" was clearly Blackstone, which doesn't measure fuel via GC. Fuel is also the primary driver in viscosity loss. During sampling it's quite possible that he grabbed an "overly rich" sample at his 15 minute interval but the overall trend does appear to indicate that his Subie fuel dilutes a bit.

I wasn't aware of the site link to Mobil's oil analysis program, so this video has raised my awareness of that.

As for being pinned, if Engineering Explained wants to pay to sponsor BITOG, I agree, otherwise, I vote no.

"This video isn't about when you should change your engine oil"

That's literally the primary purpose of UOA's. Is the lubricant suitable for continued use? But he does go over oil life in the video, just an amusing statement.

Otherwise, a good video that goes over some of the basics.

Something important there, which myself and others have touched on, the "3rd party lab" was clearly Blackstone, which doesn't measure fuel via GC. Fuel is also the primary driver in viscosity loss. During sampling it's quite possible that he grabbed an "overly rich" sample at his 15 minute interval but the overall trend does appear to indicate that his Subie fuel dilutes a bit.
Really good … this gentleman makes sure he delivers a message most can understand and therefore put into practice.

I wasn't aware of the site link to Mobil's oil analysis program, so this video has raised my awareness of that.

As for being pinned, if Engineering Explained wants to pay to sponsor BITOG, I agree, otherwise, I vote no.
Lol, maybe he can reach out to Mobil about that.

Good video.
What is the tool he's using for withdrawing oil? I could use that.
Just a standard sample pump.

Amsoil sells these, too.

Last edited:

"As for being pinned, if Engineering Explained wants to pay to sponsor BITOG, I agree, otherwise, I vote no."

I agree. This is akin to what I told the Toyota dealer when I bought my truck. I told them if they want to pay me to pimp their dealership, they can leave the license plate frame with their name on it, along with other stickers, dealer branding. etc. If they're not willing to pay me, I expect ALL of that stuff to be removed BEFORE I drive the vehicle off their lot and sign their documentation. They removed it all.

Ed

"As for being pinned, if Engineering Explained wants to pay to sponsor BITOG, I agree, otherwise, I vote no."

I agree. This is akin to what I told the Toyota dealer when I bought my truck. I told them if they want to pay me to pimp their dealership, they can leave the license plate frame with their name on it, along with other stickers, dealer branding. etc. If they're not willing to pay me, I expect ALL of that stuff to be removed BEFORE I drive the vehicle off their lot and sign their documentation. They removed it all.

Ed
Not really seeing how that correlates here? EE didn't post the video, a member did, and it has technical value, quite unlike your bumper stickers, so that analogy really falls flat.

If EE were to participate here and promote their videos, then yeah, they'd be expected to pay for that privilege but as it stands, they likely have no idea that the video was even posted here, while new members would clearly benefit from the video's content.

Interesting that Mobil 1's analysis found less Phosphorus and Zinc than Blackstone's analysis did. There's been some chatter in the VOA forum that Blackstone has unreliable or artifically low values. Mobil found 580/579 ppm for Ph/Zn while Blackstone found 660/731.

Interesting that Mobil 1's analysis found less Phosphorus and Zinc than Blackstone's analysis did. There's been some chatter in the VOA forum that Blackstone has unreliable or artifically low values. Mobil found 580/579 ppm for Ph/Zn while Blackstone found 660/731.
Send it to another lab and the numbers will be different again. Given the purpose of UOA's, their accuracy on the elemental stuff shouldn't really be surprising.

I’m confused. He’s got Mobil bottles in the thumbnail but looks like blackstone in the vid and everyone is posting its blackstone.

does Mobil do analysis for consumers?

I’m confused. He’s got Mobil bottles in the thumbnail but looks like blackstone in the vid and everyone is posting its blackstone.

does Mobil do analysis for consumers?
I found this page:
But I'm not sure it's meant for normal consumers. There's a "Talk to an Expert" form you can fill out.

Send it to another lab and the numbers will be different again. Given the purpose of UOA's, their accuracy on the elemental stuff shouldn't really be surprising.
My point is:
1. Mobil advertises M1 EP 0W20 as having nominal Ph/Zn values of 650/750
2. There are Blackstone VOAs of this oil having much lower values for Ph/Zn (my VOA showed 449/519)
3. some people on here are using these results to badmouth Blackstone as inaccurate
4. another person on here sent the same oil sample to multiple labs and got similar results from each of them (Blackstone's weren't lower across the board like the guy on here claims)
5. according to this video, Mobil's own analysis on their own oil showed Ph/Zn values of 580/579
6. for some reason some people here like to take every potshot opportunity they can at Blackstone when clearly it's variation in the oil, not BS being shoddy in their testing

Reactions: a5m
Nobody is out to get Blackstone but on many occasions they have been shown to provide inaccurate results on their analysis. I’ve read your numerous other posts that people are “out to get them” but there is no conspiracy. Do you have a connection to them of some sort?

Likewise there is no real proof that the discrepant results are due to variations in the oil. On face value that would be the least likely answer, in order for that to be true in many cases the formulators and blenders would have to be violating their API licenses. Is that what you were suggesting?

Nobody is out to get Blackstone but on many occasions they have been shown to provide inaccurate results on their analysis. I’ve read your numerous other posts that people are “out to get them” but there is no conspiracy. Do you have a connection to them of some sort?

Likewise there is no real proof that the discrepant results are due to variations in the oil. On face value that would be the least likely answer, in order for that to be true in many cases the formulators and blenders would have to be violating their API licenses. Is that what you were suggesting?
Other than using them frequently and being a satisfied customer, I have no connection to them. I don't work for them, I don't know anyone personally who works for them, etc.

To my knowledge, I'm not posting numerous posts that people are "out to get them". I just find it ridiculous that we've already shown that the accuracy of their results is no worse than any other lab, yet the first thing these people do when they see a BS result that doesn't line up with expected results is start repeating the same line about their results being inaccurate and artificially low. You can't deny that this vocal minority does that. I just happen to not like staying quiet when I see disinformation being spread as fact, because they are jumping to conclusions and other evidence has shown that the accuracy of their comments is off.

/rant

Regarding your last question. All I'm saying is Mobil 1's own testing of their own oil comes up with very low Ph and Zn values, much lower than the values they specify.

Reactions: a5m
I’m not sure what the this disinformation is that you’re referring to. The truth is you state that they are no worse than any other laboratory but you really have no idea at all if that is the case. One would have to have access to the calibration records and standards. Does Blackstone have a quality certification that documents their procedures? Any testing laboratory which is providing results in return for a fee payment should have some certification such as ISO.

Back