This tire any good still?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jje

Recently the spouse got a flat (valve broke at the rim) and drove on this tire on the highway for a couple of minutes (really not a long time).

3527354326_f51ede0ff2.jpg
3526543359_6505fbb216.jpg

When I looked at it it seemed weaker to the touch at the white line than nearer to the tread or nearer to the bead.

Canadian Tire 'warranteed' this tire by replacing the valve and rebalancing it. They don't sell this model anymore, so I guess they couldn't really warrantee anything.

Is it dangerous as is? It definitely wasn't driven much distance.

Last edited:
No way to know, but I would get rid of it, not worth a blow out.
I keep a good eye on my tires since all my driving is at 70 mph on the interstate.

When they repaired the tire, did they dismount the tire and check for internal damage? If not, I'd go back and insist that they do so.

Almost all of it is 15 minutes to work and back.

I am really surprised they put that tire back on. Perhaps there is some life left in it and they didn't try to make a quick $100 sale? Weird, I might not have done that.

That's a scuff from the ground. Didn't see the insided.

When do you know it's damaged and unuseable?

Go back to CT and ask them what their policy is when a customer is killed because they failed to replace a damaged tire. Then, ask them how much corporate carries in liability insurance, since you want to be able to give an attorney "a nice round number".

Talk to a manager on a slow day and have it unmounted and look inside for yourself, there will be a scalloping pattern across the rubber. Look for breaks in that pattern where the rim would rub or rubber dust, both signs of damage.

CT would likely warranty to a "comparable" tire if they don't still have yours.

I was out of town and picked up a nail on a brand new Douglas tire with only 5-6k miles on it. I must have drove 45 miles with a nail in it going 70 miles an hour. I'm 100% positive that I picked up the nail when I crossed some railroad tracks to get gas on a side exit. I went to save 2 cents a gallon at Exxon instead of the Shell or Citgo, and picked up a nail for my trouble!

I found the tire completely flat when I left for work the next morning. it had that same white lining on the sidewall as your photo which tire cleaner got rid of. I plugged the tire, inflated, and it's been fine. This was from January 09.

Because it is a doughnut tire (00+ Cavvie= 195/70/14), as long as there is no damage on the inside, it should be fine.

But because it is your wife's car, I would replace it just in case. For peace of mind.

A pot hole beat the tar out of one of my wife's tire (also a Cav) and it messed up the sidewall. Could of saved it for a while, but chose of new goodyear instead...

HAHAHAHAHAHA @ rshunter.

IMO, your family's safety is not worth riding on the tire any longer. Replace it!

If you have some sort of pro-rata warranty with CT, like a road hazard warranty, they should offer you a credit towards the purchase of a comparable tire. If not, and you are relying on the OEM warranty, I don't think they're going to cover this so you'll probably have to buy a new tire. If a new tire helps your peace of mind, it might be worth the money.

If this tire isn't being made any longer and your tire dealer should ultimatly replace it after all, then they will replace only that tire with another comparable tire. But you will first have to show that the tire has failed. Actually the tire looks fine to me and I've done worst things to tires in the past. Tires are quite tough and can handle a great deal of abuse.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
... have it unmounted and look inside for yourself, there will be a scalloping pattern across the rubber. Look for breaks in that pattern where the rim would rub or rubber dust, both signs of damage.

Exactly. That's your true indicator right there. The sidewall doesn't look bad. You need to see the inside.

Joel

Originally Posted By: daman
I would swap it to the rear and run it,,if it does blow witch i dought it one wouldn't loose control.

I don't know about that. IMO, blow-out on the rear would be more difficult to control than on the front.

In any case, I would just get a new tire and not take my chances.

It all depends on what it looks like from the inside.

If the sidewalls on the inside show damage, then it needs to be replaced. If there is no damage on the inside walls, then run it.

The problem is that it needs to be dismounted and inspected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back