This should quiet all the doubters

WD-40 has got at least 3 or 4 different oils out there now. The original stuff was the water displacement formula and it did work well for cleaning up caked grease and on a steel wool pad was great at getting rust off tools. It really is just a spray kerosene and safer than spraying gasoline from a bottle. But it was never good at rust prevention or lubricating as it washed off other lubricants. Some of their new stuff is OK for what its labeled for.

WD-40 can be good for many things in a pinch if you need something and don't have anything else around. I've used it to remove adhesives and other gums and gunk that dedicated removers like Goo Gone wouldn't even touch.

Several times I've gotten people's cars started in the rain by removing the distributor cap and spraying the inside of the cap with WD-40.

That hasn't happened for a while now.
Not a lot of distributor caps out there anymore, but I've used it for the same thing. Seems to be the best use for it.

1646452524532.jpg

When you can't get the lid off the can of WD-40.

Remember what WD stands for.... Water Displacing. Use it for that and it is fantastic. Lubricant, not so much.
I use it to soften and dissolve sticky hydraulic residue. I also use a rag soaked in the stuff to wipe down tools before putting them away.

Reactions: 4WD
Use a ton in the shop on machined parts.. you dont really want heavy oil on those.. but its machined in water so.... need to stop the rust after the machine is off.

Just used some today on my winter lug bolts when I put them into storage.

Back