This ones pretty bad, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last weekend we had the jetski out, and I noticed the tires have gotten worse. The side walls have had minor cracks for a while, but now the tread has cracks to the cords.

The load is an 850# ski, plus trailer w/ storage box. Where we normally go is 50 miles round trip, 65 mph.

What do you think... Will it make on our 800 mile (round trip) vacation in a few weeks?

DSC05113.jpg

DSC05114.jpg

yeah, thats pretty bad but I would bet they would make the round trip ok. You can always look on craigslist for someone selling trailer tires. As long as the bolt pattern matches you are fine and you can usually get them cheap.

Replace the tires, is it worth having an accident? And if you do have an accident or just get pulled over for a minor infraction you could get a ticket..Replace them if you have a blow out at 60 M.P.H. that could be it.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Replace the tires, is it worth having an accident? And if you do have an accident or just get pulled over for a minor infraction you could get a ticket..Replace them if you have a blow out at 60 M.P.H. that could be it.

Just play'n with you crazy dude
LOL.gif
I replaced it a couple hours ago.

I was planning on getting new tires before the trip anyway. But when I saw that last weekend it freaked me out a little that I had been driving with it like that. The tread cracks are a very recent development, which is probably worse, if its deteriorating quickly...

We had to go to three walmarts because the first two were out of stock last weekend.

Every year around this time I see lots of trailers on the side of the road from tire problems. Given the usage pattern, these tires rot out before they wear out.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
How old were the tires? Mine are 6 year old but no cracks yet. I keep them covered though.

I don't know. I can't find the normal DOT date stamp. I got it 3 years ago, and they were far from new then.

The bearings should be fine. I repacked them when I got it. They have a grease zerk so I add a little grease occasionally.

Originally Posted By: ksJoe
Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
How old were the tires? Mine are 6 year old but no cracks yet. I keep them covered though.

I don't know. I can't find the normal DOT date stamp. I got it 3 years ago, and they were far from new then.

I figured it out. Its the old format used before 2000. The date code is 266, so thats the 26th week of 1996.

They're right at 13 years old.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back