this must be a GREAT engine!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a early 90's craftsman tiller, selp propelled walk behind with a 5hp briggs.

I have noticed that it has become hard to start, and when it runs, it smokes.
57.gif

I started thinking, and wondered about the oil...
well, I cant ever remember changing the oil, so I guess it has 15 y/o oil!!

But, I cant find a dipstick, or the drain plug, and have no idea how much oil it holds....

Just wondering, how much longer does it have?????

33.gif
It will have a fill/level check port on one, sometimes both sides. You'll see a threaded cylindrical plastic cap with two prongs sticking out for 'grip'.

Joel

Last edited:
that thing is pretty toast! briggs motors should have a drain plug under the mower - its a square plug. if not, remove the dipstick, turn the mower over, and drain it out that way. If you dont wanna junk it now.... (which you should) at least change the oil one last time. although I am inclined to believe you are joking here...

Originally Posted By: JTK
That's one funky looking old mower.

That is because it is not a mower but a tiller.

Originally Posted By: Hootbro

That is ONE FUNKY looking old rototiller! Looks like a mower/tiller hybrid w/ smoke screen ability.
LOL.gif

Joel

Originally Posted By: talker

But, I cant find a dipstick, or the drain plug..

I can see it from your picture. The throttle cable runs right over the top of it. Rear left corner of the engine. Remove the cap and tip it on it's side to drain. Fill to just below the threads. I forget what they take, 1/2qt maybe?

Joel

you might also have another drain plug on the bottom of the engine if the deck allows you to see it. If present it will be able to be removed by a 3/8" ratchet extension with no socket on the end. The engine should hold 20oz. of oil. There may be a dipstick attached to the plug that Joel is talking about above. Sometimes they're just a bare plug, sometimes not. (I'd use straight HD-40 but that's another whole thread.)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: talker

But, I cant find a dipstick, or the drain plug..

I can see it from your picture. The throttle cable runs right over the top of it. Rear left corner of the engine. Remove the cap and tip it on it's side to drain. Fill to just below the threads. I forget what they take, 1/2qt maybe?

Joel

Yep,that sure looks like it.They were like that on those old Briggs motors.

All, that picture was to demonstraight the smoke.

I'm talking about a tiller.
Not a pushmower.

33.gif

Originally Posted By: Hootbro

I think this is the post that misled us. How about some pics of the engine in question?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back