This may shock a few people but my Fiat 500 has been my most reliable DD….

My 2012 Fiat 500 that we bought off a neighbor with only 600 miles on it for 10K back in 2012 has been absolutely a joy to drive and own. We are closing in on 200,000 miles. We originally were going to resell it but we ended up keeping it. The engine and automatic transmission has been flawless. Does go through wheel bearings quicker than most cars I have had but that has been it except for regular maintenance Items And a thermostat.

Last edited:
I've heard reports about these cars that go both ways. More so than a lot of other cars. Some people have had Toyota like reliability others have had dumpster fire cars.

One thing I've seen is that these cars seem to rust really fast underneath. Do you live in an area with road salt? What's your experience?

I had a coworker go out of his way to track one down used as he wanted a manual and it was one of the few cars available with a manual that he liked. He liked his too but he left, so I'm not sure what his long term ownership experience was like.

What kind of mpg do you get with your automatic?

My 2012 Fiat 500 that we bought off a neighbor with only 600 miles on it for 10K back in 2012 has been absolutely a joy to drive and own. We are closing in on 200,000 miles. We originally were going to resell it but we ended up keeping it. The engine and automatic transmission has been flawless. Does go through wheel bearing quicker than most cars I have had but that has been it except for regular maintenance Items.

We tend to have fixed beliefs about which vehicles are reliable and which aren't. It's good to hear that your Fiat 500 has been reliable.

Their Abarth model is quite interesting.

I've heard reports about these cars that go both ways. More so than a lot of other cars. Some people have had Toyota like reliability others have had dumpster fire cars.

One thing I've seen is that these cars seem to rust really fast underneath. Do you live in an area with road salt? What's your experience?
That Has been my experience on the Fiat forum. You either got a good one or a bad one. I consider myself lucky. I also know of a gentleman that travels a lot and has just passed 325,000 miles and no issues. I live in Western New York and I usually take it through the car wash every other day. Twenty bucks a month for an unlimited wash plan. The undercarriage is really clean. It will eventually be my winter car.

I had a coworker go out of his way to track one down used as he wanted a manual and it was one of the few cars available with a manual that he liked. He liked his too but he left, so I'm not sure what his long term ownership experience was like.

What kind of mpg do you get with your automatic?
I drive this car hard and I get about 32 overall. It’s a blast to rev this 101 HP motor

As a former owner of a 1970 Fiat 124 Spyder, you should count your blessings. I bought mine new and also had very few problems. One unusual problem is the O ring on the distributor shaft wore out and allowed oil to get inside the cap. It was a 50 cent part. As for rusting, the Fiats and Alfas of that era started rusting when they hit the loading docks in Baltimore.

That Has been my experience on the Fiat forum. You either got a good one or a bad one. I consider myself lucky. I also know of a gentleman that travels a lot and has just passed 325,000 miles and no issues. I live in Western New York and I usually take it through the car wash every other day. Twenty bucks a month for an unlimited wash plan. The undercarriage is really clean. It will eventually be my winter car.

Delta Sonic!

I used to drive VW bugs. I rented a 500 for a week and I was glad to return it. Great handling and all, but scary small when everyone else in traffic is driving a lifted pick up

My 2012 Fiat 500 that we bought off a neighbor with only 600 miles on it for 10K back in 2012 has been absolutely a joy to drive and own. We are closing in on 200,000 miles. We originally were going to resell it but we ended up keeping it. The engine and automatic transmission has been flawless. Does go through wheel bearings quicker than most cars I have had but that has been it except for regular maintenance Items And a thermostat.
Doesn't shock me. We've got a Jeep Renegade that has been reliable, too. No issues, at all.

The Abarth exhaust is awesome! I'd get a lot of tickets with one of those I think.

I could deal with one of these as a DD. I keep forgetting they exist. The Grand Marquis will definitely be replaced by a smaller vehicle in a few years.

I had a FIAT 124 4Door, mechanically excellent, power to wight ratio outstanding, was able to go into the country in the dead of winter with the Pirelli summer tires, driving position fit for a monkey (need short legs & long arms) sold it after 1 year as it was biodegrading, via rust, in front of my eyes. No complaints really, fond memories, especially for what I paid (FIAT Exec car)

If it's the rear wheel bearings there were alignment issues that can be solved with a shim kit (sometimes two kits) from the dealer. We were driving in South Carolina on a road with a 60mph speed limit and our automatic got 42.2 mpg. Around town more like 32-34mpg. The car is designed more for fun and style than an econo box.

Zero Rust. Car has a tune now and rear sway bar. Drives like a micro Ferrari. Capable of left turn signal turns at boulevard intersections at 35mph instead of 10-15. (Don't do it as it scares people.) Obviously not a fast car but quick enough. Handling is superb for an 11 foot car. Plenty of room for someone 6'4" and 280lbs. Back seat not so much. Seats fold down. Have put a 55" TV in its box in the back and once put in a newly purchased Harbor Freight roller tool chest back there with the hatch closed.

I sometimes tell people I can get into a very tight parallel parking spot by reaching behind me and grabbing the rear bumper and giving it a quick tug to pull the rear against the curb. LOL! Some folks thought I was serious.

By the way the engines were built in Detroit and won engineering design awards. The auto trans is Ainsin Japan. The car had a 5 star crash safety rating as its basically a basketball type full roll cage with seven air bags. They changed the rating standards after that. The car will total itself and occupant walks away.

Newer FIAT= Ferrari Inspired Automotive Technology

Last edited:
I used to drive VW bugs. I rented a 500 for a week and I was glad to return it. Great handling and all, but scary small when everyone else in traffic is driving a lifted pick up
It depends on whether or not you end up in a collision. With a smaller, faster, more maneuverable vehicle avoiding collisions is easier. My 3 Series was certainly not a large vehicle but getting out of hairy situations is easier with the much smaller and more light-footed Mini. 2,600lbs vs 3,800lbs makes a huge difference. On the other hand, an MRAP would plow through the biggest pickup truck.

I had a FIAT 124 4Door, mechanically excellent, power to wight ratio outstanding, was able to go into the country in the dead of winter with the Pirelli summer tires, driving position fit for a monkey (need short legs & long arms) sold it after 1 year as it was biodegrading, via rust, in front of my eyes. No complaints really, fond memories, especially for what I paid (FIAT Exec car)
we fixed that problem

Attachments

• D03570E8-B4AB-4002-BF3A-46A805731C67.jpeg
    D03570E8-B4AB-4002-BF3A-46A805731C67.jpeg
    192.1 KB · Views: 26
Back