This machine shop owner has way too much time on his hands.

Originally Posted by MolaKule
My question is: Are stainless bolts cheaper than stainless bar stock?

Two thoughts: You have to buy it in minimum lengths (4', 8', etc) or even if can be bought in shorter lengths, you likely end up with a lot of leftover (waste, scrap).

Not sure someone "doing" has too much time on their hands; someone watching and posting about someone "doing" well..... lol

Having worked in a machine shop, there were a few craftsmen that used the shop (with permission of the owner) to do a variety of personal projects

I envy people whose primary vocation is a derivative of a hobby; I kind of have that too.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by oldhp
I wish I had that kind of mechanical mind and the ability to run machine shop tools like he does.

My thoughts as well. I just wish I had his machine tools.

My first job out of high school was as a machinist since I took machine shop and metal working in high school, but never really machined much stainless as it was mostly other steels, brass, and aluminum. If someone put me on a lathe I think I could turn out whatever was on the mechanical drawing as that kind of experience never seems to leave you.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by MolaKule
My question is: Are stainless bolts cheaper than stainless bar stock?

McMaster Carr has a 1"-8 1.5" long 18-8 stainless steel bolt for $3.54 each. 6" of 1.5" diameter 304 stainless steel is $23.

That was a very cool video, I love machining. I run an Okuma lathe with live tooling, we hold +/-0.0001 tolerances on some parts. Simply holding it in your hand or wiping it down with acetone a little too long will change the size at that kind of tolerance!

You could keep your weed in there ....
cool.gif

Back