This Just In: Ford Caught Cheating on EPA Fuel Economy Rating Tests

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not particularly a Ford fan based on my years in consumer car repair. But this reminds me of the saying:

Q. Why do they drill holes in lawyers coffins?

A. So the maggots can get out...

Originally Posted by double vanos
Sounds like an example of truck buyers expecting the posted mileage ratings to be spot on. I take ‘em with a grain of salt. When I buy a truck I don't even look at the mileage part of the sticker, I'm looking at the options listed, which are more important to me. Having said that my ‘18 F150 3.5 EB is getting between 20-22 mpg at altitude, in a mountainous area of Az. The sticker shows 18 city/ 25 highway as what it should get. I've never driven a whole tank in the city exclusively so I don't know about that 18. I haven't driven a whole tank exclusively on the highway either so the 25 is in question as well. But in mixed, high altitude, mountain driving, getting the low 20s , I'm happy.

Don't feel the need to get in on a ridiculous class action law suit.

Before I post this I'm going to add that highway speeds for me range from 75 (I10) to 65, 55 and 45 depending on where you are. Most driving done on cruise and speed limits are adhered to with vigilance. Here in Az there are counties that have fines for 1 mile over and up, and they'll write it too. Found that out recently......4 over = $98.
Just so you know some of my highway driving isn't all that fast.

You're wise to do that.

There have been disclaimers on these #s since the 70s: "For Comparison Only", "Your Mileage May Vary" yet year after year consumers with their heads deep in their nether eyes think it's a bloody guarantee and start whining and suing.

I don't know why Ford or any other company would cheat on a MPG test. Just put 0w-8 in all the new vehicles, slap the new owner owner on the back as you hand him the keys and tell him it will be fine, its good to go....

Originally Posted by DweezilAZ
Originally Posted by double vanos
Sounds like an example of truck buyers expecting the posted mileage ratings to be spot on. I take ‘em with a grain of salt. When I buy a truck I don't even look at the mileage part of the sticker, I'm looking at the options listed, which are more important to me. Having said that my ‘18 F150 3.5 EB is getting between 20-22 mpg at altitude, in a mountainous area of Az. The sticker shows 18 city/ 25 highway as what it should get. I've never driven a whole tank in the city exclusively so I don't know about that 18. I haven't driven a whole tank exclusively on the highway either so the 25 is in question as well. But in mixed, high altitude, mountain driving, getting the low 20s , I'm happy.

Don't feel the need to get in on a ridiculous class action law suit.

Before I post this I'm going to add that highway speeds for me range from 75 (I10) to 65, 55 and 45 depending on where you are. Most driving done on cruise and speed limits are adhered to with vigilance. Here in Az there are counties that have fines for 1 mile over and up, and they'll write it too. Found that out recently......4 over = $98.
Just so you know some of my highway driving isn't all that fast.

You're wise to do that.

There have been disclaimers on these #s since the 70s: "For Comparison Only", "Your Mileage May Vary" yet year after year consumers with their heads deep in their nether eyes think it's a bloody guarantee and start whining and suing.

I've never gotten the advertised mpg on the sticker
Probably because I've never driven in a controlled laboratory environment

Originally Posted by dtownfb
My question is how does Chevy, Ram, Toyota, etc determine the fuel mileage for their trucks? Is there an industry standard?

The testing criteria is determined by the EPA. Because the test is run in a lab on a dyno, the vehicle is sitting still. As such, wind load and road resistance is not present. To account for this, engineers calculate the two variables and essentially program the dyno to replicate the increased load on the vehicle.

The suit is assenting that Ford fudged those variables in their favor, making the testing environment not match real world conditions. This would result in better fuel economy and a better test outcome.

Everybody does it the same way and submits all their testing and results to the EPA for review and certification. At the very least, if everyone follows the criteria, it's a fair comparison of one vehicle to another.

The suit isn't alleging that anything is wrong with the test itself, how realistic it is, or how closely it matches real world driving. It's alleging that Ford stacked the deck in it's favor, which isn't fair to customers or competitors.

Originally Posted by JLTD
You either get eco or boost. Testing was done with eco, and most drivers can't stay out of the boost.

When I had one for a month a couple years back when my G37 was down, I definitely got the eco. It was a four door 4x4 and it wound up being cheaper to operate than the G37. A fair bit of my driving is simply freeway, then parking, and then back on the freeway to go home.

Originally Posted by vw7674
Onetor said:
Lifetime mileage 150,000?

That was just the plaintiffs' lawyers estimate to estimate damages.
The trans will go 65k before that, out of warranty. But that's another lawsuit.

Ok. I have 3 dozen examples within 500 feet where this is far from true.

Originally Posted by dave1251
This is a misleading title Ford was not caught doing anything. If anything the firm should be investigated for frivolous lawsuits.

Absolutely ðŸ‘

Originally Posted by dave1251
This is a misleading title Ford was not caught doing anything. If anything the firm should be investigated for frivolous lawsuits.

Man, can't watch TV anymore without tort law firms pounding away with a new angle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back