This Just In: Ford Caught Cheating on EPA Fuel Economy Rating Tests

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.freep.com/story/money/c...ied-f-150-fuel-economy-tests/1799619001/

Criminal Investigation by DOJ huh? Wow. Have to wonder that since the fudging appears to have been the Road Load parameters that were used to make the calculations, if simply putting the tail gate down or installing a tonneau cover to the truck bed would reduce aero drag enough to compensate for the overly optimistic parameters used to allegedly artificially inflate EPA mpg rating numbers.

On the other hand, it appears Ford did self-police themselves in some fashion here, prior to the news getting out by hiring an independent testing to double check, and also considering that it was Ford employees that raised the red flag in the first place.

Will you get a 2 dollar compensation from a Lawyer enriching class action?

It have to address this myth.
Tailgate down doesn't help fuel economy due to a truck's tall cab already causing drag and disturbed air the tailgate may even add some spoiler effect that improves airflow off the back of the vehicle. Especially quad cab short box configuration it may significantly INCREASE fuel mileage leaving the tailgate up. The air is so dirtied up by the cab box that a bed cover doesnt help either.

-Ken

It would be interesting to read all the data. I have a very dark opinion about these types of lawsuits. Most of them are designed to give the lawyers the lion share of the profits while the automaker crafts a warranty designed to minimize their financial losses. The consumer almost always gets screwed.

Here's an example of one where over 97% of Nissan Pathfinder, Frontier and Xterra owners had to pay for transmission repairs out of their own pocket.

https://www.autoblog.com/2016/01/26/long-term-quality-nissan-pathfinder-xterra/

You either get eco or boost. Testing was done with eco, and most drivers can't stay out of the boost.

I almost always got better than rated mpg in my standard F150. The HPP (Heavy Payload Package) had E rated tires and a different axle ratio and I struggled to make the mpg rated numbers. Both had the 5.0.

Both easily returned better than rated on a flat highway below 60mph(100kph). Got over 23mpg more than once. Granted both trucks were 2013 models.

Originally Posted by macarose
It would be interesting to read all the data. I have a very dark opinion about these types of lawsuits. Most of them are designed to give the lawyers the lion share of the profits while the automaker crafts a warranty designed to minimize their financial losses. The consumer almost always gets screwed.

Here's an example of one where over 97% of Nissan Pathfinder, Frontier and Xterra owners had to pay for transmission repairs out of their own pocket.

https://www.autoblog.com/2016/01/26/long-term-quality-nissan-pathfinder-xterra/

Ouch. SMOD. Strawberry Milkshake Of Death. Toyota and Honda both had it too, on 4Runner (not sure about Taco) and Ridgeline. The Ridgeline maybe less affected.

Originally Posted by RhondaHonda
Can't wait for my $11 check from the class action settlement.

It will be a $11 coupon towards your next Ford vehicle purchase.

Any interruption in F-150 production and sales means serious trouble for Ford and the lawyers know this. That, to me, is the reason the lawsuit has the clause about "...get an injunction to stop Ford's design, manufacture, marketing, sale, and lease of the pickups."

That is a land mine placed into the language of the suit to try and get Ford to settle and not fight, i.e. pony up money to make the lawyers go away. The law firm knows F-150 = Life for Ford, and the threat of seeking an injunction to halt sales and production is nothing more than a ploy to increase the fear factor within Ford and force more money out of them faster.

I mean give me a break; try to force the end of an entire product line simply because Road Load figures were diddled with to fluff mpg estimates? That is a real stretch. So much so, that I would think the Court might strike it from the suit as unreasonable.

The idea that class action only benefits the lawyers is a common conception anytime these stories come up.
I'm not a lawyer and don't really care to support lawyers, but i'm not sure that's a fair conception.

Seems like this will keep Ford and other companies honest and if true will get some money to consumers.
Consumers who probably can't differentiate 10-15% MPG difference since their average likely falls between city/highway estimates.
So you probably have 95% consumers were happy. 4.99% weren't totally pleased but not enough to do anything about it. And <0.01% that were mad enough to do anything about it, but wouldn't win a court case on their own.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Will you get a 2 dollar compensation from a Lawyer enriching class action?

It have to address this myth.
Tailgate down doesn't help fuel economy due to a truck's tall cab already causing drag and disturbed air the tailgate may even add some spoiler effect that improves airflow off the back of the vehicle. Especially quad cab short box configuration it may significantly INCREASE fuel mileage leaving the tailgate up. The air is so dirtied up by the cab box that a bed cover doesnt help either.

-Ken

Yep … Think they all have to spend time doing this

3FC1E0F7-810F-4D73-B5BA-8C61088EED9E.png

Hagens Berman is a serial class action filer. They currently have over 120 active class action suits. The have class action suits against BMW, FCA, Ford, GM Mercedes Benz, and VW over diesel emissions. Ford and Acura have suits against them for their infotainment systems. Tesla has a suit against them for investor fraud. Kia has two for various topics. Ford actually has 6 active suits filed by Hagens Berman.

Seeing that Hagens Berman filed another class action suit isn't news.

Seeing the DOJ is beginning a criminal investigation? This is news.

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
Interesting-those sound like good candidates for relocating the ATF cooler OUT of the radiator!

I think that is what many do. Do have to be careful, in case they have an ATF temp sensor. Lockup might be inhibited until trans temp is to a certain point, trans or coolant temp. A slipping torque convertor makes heat, and what better place to pump that heat than into cold coolant, in order to heat up the engine on a cold start.

It sounds like this law firm has a beef with Ford. My question is how does Chevy, Ram, Toyota, etc determine the fuel mileage for their trucks? Is there an industry standard? Are F-150 owners reporting lower fuel economy than what Ford claims? (No mention of this in the article) Many companies have reported higher fuel economy than what consumers experienced. I think the resolution has been a public "mea culpa" and restating the true fuel economy. Stopping production because a law firm claims their math is better than Ford's math? I don''t think so.

Sounds like an example of truck buyers expecting the posted mileage ratings to be spot on. I take ‘em with a grain of salt. When I buy a truck I don't even look at the mileage part of the sticker, I'm looking at the options listed, which are more important to me. Having said that my ‘18 F150 3.5 EB is getting between 20-22 mpg at altitude, in a mountainous area of Az. The sticker shows 18 city/ 25 highway as what it should get. I've never driven a whole tank in the city exclusively so I don't know about that 18. I haven't driven a whole tank exclusively on the highway either so the 25 is in question as well. But in mixed, high altitude, mountain driving, getting the low 20s , I'm happy.

Don't feel the need to get in on a ridiculous class action law suit.

Before I post this I'm going to add that highway speeds for me range from 75 (I10) to 65, 55 and 45 depending on where you are. Most driving done on cruise and speed limits are adhered to with vigilance. Here in Az there are counties that have fines for 1 mile over and up, and they'll write it too. Found that out recently......4 over = $98.
Just so you know some of my highway driving isn't all that fast.

Court cases are by no means related to science …
all it takes is service on one jury to see why companies settle …

Onetor said:
Lifetime mileage 150,000?

That was just the plaintiffs' lawyers estimate to estimate damages.
The trans will go 65k before that, out of warranty. But that's another lawsuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back