This is why we change our filters regularly

39734678-0685-43CB-BEAF-82E2CC95EDD4.jpeg

Used 2018 Silverado 2500HD with 102k. The yarn ball was on top of the filter as it sat inside the filter area/housing.

Last edited:
Some people don't know they have them.
+2
On our 2002 Impala, I am pretty sure there is no mention of it in the owner's manual. Turns out, the filter is hidden under the windshield wiper cowl! I had to watch some Youtube videos to learn a) where it's located and b) how to change it. It wasn't like the newer cars which have it much easier to access.

That's exactly what I was afraid that I'd find when putting the new air filter in this Goldwing. The previous owner had it parked in a dank little garage underneath his house.

Looks like it did its job and filtered out a rather large particulate.
Just a bit. The ball of yarn/string/whatever it is was a little bigger than a softball but also in the top left section, they chewed through the filter so there's a hole about the size of a golf ball there. :cautious::cautious::cautious::cautious::cautious::cautious:

I am pretty sure there is no mention of it in the owner's manual.
My old '99 Accord had no mention of a cabin air filter in the manual but a filter was available. Maybe it was only installed in a higher trim (EX-L ? I had an EX) or maybe it was added in 2000, 2001, or 2003. I owned it for 10 years and never looked for it. In my defense, I only ran across info suggesting there was one a year or so before I got rid of it.

Back