This is why “Quick Struts” are popular

I'd get those apart in 5 minutes with my pair of $40 strut spring compressors.

71RqjCvuDpS._AC_SL1500_.jpg

For those saying they are not safe, neither is not wearing gloves like the tech in the photo.
I see. Not wearing gloves to protect from carcinogens is unsafe.

But doing this on your kitchen counter is just fine…

Carcinogens on your hands is a no no, but on the kitchen counter is perfectly acceptable!

If I did that my wife would have my head on a pike. And on that note, I’m off to play in the machine coolant!

All those unknown potentially carcinogenic chemicals on the guys hand getting absorbed into the body for one thing. Read a bottle of oil where it warns of exposure to used oil. Cuts, bruises and abrasions from slipping or breaking parts for another.
After all, they're known to the State of California....

I used gloves.

if it’s a coilover just chain it down and stop being scared. the widowmakers without the safety pins fit into pretty much everything

if its a big spring on a perch you need to respect it and get the right tool

Last edited:
I wouldn't trust those on bicycle springs. I had better ones that let go on a W123 front spring, for those cars a few others its Klann or nothing.
Completely agree; literally a "Your money or your life" situation with Mercedes springs!

Please, tell us more
The no spring compressor method. Compress the coil with the jack. Undo the top center nut. Undo lower A arm ball joint. Slowly let lower A arm out, decompressing the spring.

I did it on my 4Runner and Tundra to install 5100s

The no spring compressor method. Compress the coil with the jack. Undo the top center nut. Undo lower A arm ball joint. Slowly let lower A arm out, decompressing the spring.

I did it on my 4Runner and Tundra to install 5100s

That simply does not work on the vast majority of vehicles.

Reactions: Y_K
The lower hooks need to be much, much lower on the spring.
I'd get those apart in 5 minutes with my pair of $40 strut spring compressors.
Here is a picture of a KYB strut plus (SR4453) for this application:

1639504937951.jpeg

Notice how the entire spring has an "irregular shape" and each side is a different length? Also, the lowest coil is very close to the lower insulator and the spacing between the first and second coil is significant.

For those reasons it is challenging to mount this assembly into a spring compressor with 4 arms that are in a fixed position....and still get enough compression to remove the strut.

Back