This is why “Quick Struts” are popular

DFD91006-F0E7-4940-8F3A-5910A557E1E6.jpeg

Yes, I am aware that you are not supposed to place the hooks on the bearing plate.

But any other configuration of the hooks does not allow for enough spring compression. At least not with this spring compressor.

If anyone has a safer way of compressing those Toyota SUV front springs (with the "offset" mounts), please let me know...

On style of compressor isn't doing all struts. Something like this will do these, SIR makes a good one but its pricey, Klann is the Rolls Royce on strut compressors and priced like one .

I'd get those apart in 5 minutes with my pair of $40 strut spring compressors.

71RqjCvuDpS._AC_SL1500_.jpg

For those saying they are not safe, neither is not wearing gloves like the tech in the photo.

When I changed struts it was a choice between the lower quality and more expensive but safer Ready Struts and the higher quality and less expensive but scarier regular struts. Cowardice won out over frugality.

All those unknown potentially carcinogenic chemicals on the guys hand getting absorbed into the body for one thing. Read a bottle of oil where it warns of exposure to used oil. Cuts, bruises and abrasions from slipping or breaking parts for another.
So your argument is your spring compressor is safer than him not wearing gloves? That's laughable and ridiculous. I'll take exposure to carcinogens over being forced to eat my own face any day.

This is what I have used for the last 30 years. Granted, no safety pins, but a wide jaw that does not slip, used for domestic cars so far. Maybe one Toyota Celica.

I never put a strut in a vise, I use these on concrete, I never face either end of the spring.
IMG_20211213_202655722.jpg

View attachment 80980
Yes, I am aware that you are not supposed to place the hooks on the bearing plate.

But any other configuration of the hooks does not allow for enough spring compression. At least not with this spring compressor.

If anyone has a safer way of compressing those Toyota SUV front springs (with the "offset" mounts), please let me know...
The lower hooks need to be much, much lower on the spring.

A friend had a spring compressor let go doing struts. Something hit him in the jaw and knocked him unconscious. Broken jaw, missing teeth, wired up for a long time. Only lucky thing for him that day was he was in the Navy hobby shop, so there were people present and a hospital 5 minutes away.

I have a set of Clines for the W124 in my garage.

Back