This is why “Quick Struts” are popular

I’ve been considering buying one of these. Doesn’t it look as though the lower attachment point is on the strut body?

I would use the internal Klann made for these cars, all those MB pocket mounted front springs are super strong and can be very dangerous, an external missed me by inches when it let go and dam near got my wife 3 ft away. No way would I try a cheap external on any one of these.
Totally agree. Chrysler dealerships sell the Klann unit for the Crossfire online occasionally, which is a good price and the same model. Can be significantly cheaper.

Here is a picture of a KYB strut plus (SR4453) for this application:

View attachment 81060

Notice how the entire spring has an "irregular shape" and each side is a different length? Also, the lowest coil is very close to the lower insulator and the spacing between the first and second coil is significant.

For those reasons it is challenging to mount this assembly into a spring compressor with 4 arms that are in a fixed position....and still get enough compression to remove the strut.
Are you able to see what the FSM recommends? They have to be able to replace them somehow.

V8Y1AAD.jpg

Yes, I am aware that you are not supposed to place the hooks on the bearing plate.

But any other configuration of the hooks does not allow for enough spring compression. At least not with this spring compressor.

If anyone has a safer way of compressing those Toyota SUV front springs (with the "offset" mounts), please let me know...

Unfortunately, No tool will fit every strut perfectly. Other than the spring rotating out of the compressor, I don't see the issue pushing on the Mount Bearing/Plate. You can take a piece of 5/8" heater hose & split it open along it's length with a razor knife, Slip it around the spring right ahead front left lower hook, Clamp it down with a worm clamp (Arrow).....This will keep the spring from rotating.

I do agree that the Branick 7600 doesn't work all that well with springs with only 3 or 4 coils, I bought mine for Fullsize Ford & GM Trucks/SUV's & it seems ideal for those.

I'm trying to find a service manual online for a car using the KYB part number SR4453 that was referenced earlier, so I looked up the 2011 Highlander.

See what Toyota's procedure is, if they have a picture in their service manual, see where they place the hooks, the part number of the SST they say to use, what it looks like :unsure:

Someone on Toyota Nation used a single-action compressor here

The good news is that Bilstein makes struts for this car, the only reason not to use quick struts :D

Ones that have been beat on so much they may break the next time someone uses it? Not to mention the convenience of not making an extra trip to pick it up and then return it. Not worth it to me.
That is a valid point. I treated the ones I borrowed like a rented Camaro.

I have a set of spring compressors that use u-bolts to grab the spring coils so nothing can go flying. I guess the down side is that they scratch some paint off the spring but you could shoot some paint back on if that bothers you.

If anything the Integra one is the worst. The dust cover of the shocks / struct is actually metal and it won't clear the hook of the compressor, and in the end 1 of them had to go to a tire shop to compress for $80. Safey wise there should be a "safety pin" just in case things let go but with loaner tool who knows how much stress it has gone through and whether the past user impact gun the bolt.

For most hobbyist quick strut is the much safer, much lower cost, good enough substitute. Yes you pay more but the headache is way less. Buy a reputable brand and just get used to the "non OEM" ride, you'll get used to it in a few weeks.

If anything the Integra one is the worst. The dust cover of the shocks / struct is actually metal and it won't clear the hook of the compressor, and in the end 1 of them had to go to a tire shop to compress for $80. Safey wise there should be a "safety pin" just in case things let go but with loaner tool who knows how much stress it has gone through and whether the past user impact gun the bolt.

For most hobbyist quick strut is the much safer, much lower cost, good enough substitute. Yes you pay more but the headache is way less. Buy a reputable brand and just get used to the "non OEM" ride, you'll get used to it in a few weeks.
Any concerns with spring quaility? I’ve read of several cases where folks using quick struts reported spring sag after a couple of years. That was a while ago. Have they improved?

Carcinogens on your hands is a no no, but on the kitchen counter is perfectly acceptable!

If I did that my wife would have my head on a pike. And on that note, I’m off to play in the machine coolant!
Ooooh my favorite is an open retrofit mill with a mister. Breath deep!!!!

A friend had a spring compressor let go doing struts. Something hit him in the jaw and knocked him unconscious. Broken jaw, missing teeth, wired up for a long time. Only lucky thing for him that day was he was in the Navy hobby shop, so there were people present and a hospital 5 minutes away.

I have a set of Clines for the W124 in my garage.
What are Clines?

Back