this is what happens when you dont change oil often!

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Bryanccfshr:
Why would a sludged up engine need to be dirty on the outside?

A sludged up engine would likely be cleaner on the outside. You can't spill oil on it if you never add any or change it.

quote:

Originally posted by brianl703:

quote:

A sludged up engine would likely be cleaner on the outside. You can't spill oil on it if you never add any or change it.

lol.gif
Good point. The owner of that car =
thumbsdown.gif
nono.gif
twak.gif

quote:

Here I lightened the image up for you... looks real to me.
 -

Sorry about the size I am limited in my phot sizing skills

I would think the engine would be dirtier on the outside for the amount of miles that sludge would take to aacumulate over time. THe engine looks to clean for that type of abuse. It looks fake to me, the splatter does not have the curvature of the heat shield, its flat on a curved surface. THe oil in the journals/races or whatever they are in the pic does not look that bad off, its brown, not black. I still say its a fake, but it doesnt really matter I guess.

Yes, there's something about that build-up which looks unnatural.

I post on that board ... and have posted in that specific thread.

Once again, I found a guy who runs the h-e-l-l out of a 4-cylinder engine but changes his oil only every 25,000 miles because it is a certain brand.
rolleyes.gif

No, it's not the owner of the motor in that pic ... yet.
wink.gif

I do a lot of posting these days on car-specific borads just trying to quell rumors, myths and combat general misinformation.
rolleyes.gif

--- Bror Jace

The outside condition of a motor depnds alot on the environment. My engines stay very clean with little effort in south Texas. On the east coast my engines got very dirty quickly,I guesse the seasons and actually dribving in snow and rain did that?
Kind of a pointless debate I guesse. I have seen enough sludge pictures and one in person to know that it happens even with low mileage motors. It isn't always directly related with mileage or age. That could have been a 3 year lease.
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by 2005tundra2002yz250f:
It looks fake to me, the splatter does not have the curvature of the heat shield, its flat on a curved surface. THe oil in the journals/races or whatever they are in the pic does not look that bad off, its brown, not black.

I have this same type of car. The heat shield that the speck of sludge is on is not curved. There are corners visible in the photo, but aside from those it is quite flat.

In my car, there is a layer of varnish where the car in the photo has sludge. My car is nice and shiny where in the places where the car in the photo is sort of clean. The pic looks real to me, but I am definitely not an expert on pictures.

And don't forget, the outside of the engine (and the entire engine compartment) can be quickly cleaned with some Simple Green and a garden hose.

It's easy for some people to forget about what they can't see.
rolleyes.gif

--- Bror Jace

that effect certainly looks real to me.

My first car was previously owned by a guy who checked the oil religiously, and topped up as needed...no change for 7 years.

Engine looked axactly like that, except there was more volume to the sludge in my case, and the rockers had cut grooves in it.

No leaks or anything (effectively 2" of gasket between the oil and the air).

I have pulled a lot of them apart that the gunked up that bad or worse. I believe the average Joe never chnages the motor oil in a car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back