This is unfortunate. 46RH

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently got my short term project truck back onto the road. It's trans had given me some strange readings before I installed it (Blackstone Report), so I was going to give it a short service and flush it out. It had a servo spring break about 300 miles after it got onto the road, so I had to tear into it to replace it. When I was installing the trans into the truck, I installed a little spin-on remote, just to help out with the duties of cleaning. It was a running a old, but still new-in-box Bosch 3330 that I have had sitting on the shelf for awhile. I figured since I no longer had anything it fit, this would be a good way to get rid of it. It was only going to be about a 1000 mile run, and then I was going to send a sample back to Blackstone to see if it had improved, then I could replace it with something with better abilities.

Well, once I got the valve body off, I found that something had caused a high amount of shavings in the under 400 mile run. Figured this could be the trans breaking back in after its decade long rest, or possibly something from the extremely harsh shifts from the broken spring. I cleaned out the pan, changed the internal filter, and pulled the Bosch in favor of a slightly larger Wix. The valve body got cleaned up too, but thats because I had it apart to install the rest of the parts that came with the shift kit. The truck got back onto the road, all was fine and it shifted great. The little Bosch was still just sitting there, waiting for me to open it. I was more curious to what it looked like inside, than to what I would find, since it was such a short run. I used the awesome method of stabbing it then using tin snips to open it, and as soon as I peeled back the top, I knew there was a problem.

These little things are not magnetic. They can be crushed if they are pinched between fingernails. Honestly, they felt like floor dry, but I don't know how they would get in there. The trans cooler lines were all new, I bent them myself. The radiator trans cooler was new, and the factory external cooler was flushed out. I had the pan off when I installed the trans into the truck, and there was nothing unusual in there. It used a new Fram filter and a rubber pan gasket during install. I honestly have no other idea where these could have come from. It seems like the filter did its job, since there weren't any of these in the valve body or the trans.

2016-03-022020.38.47.jpg
2016-03-022020.39.01.jpg

2016-03-022020.51.38.jpg

It looks like clutch material to me. I had a bad transmission with a failed forward clutch pack and the pan was filled then the same type of material.

Well, that's fantastic.
frown.gif
I'm going to put the blame on the overdrive clutch pack then, since that is what was controlled by the spring that failed. It was banging into overdrive like it was trying to chirp the tires.

There is also a snap ring in the overdrive unit that can fail. I think if that breaks you will see pieces of it laying in the pan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back