This is one reason why Amazon is winning

I found a couple small engine shops in the outlying cities that I now source parts from. Yes, they might have to order in but I found the prices were as good or better.

When I go into a store and they tell me "we don't have the Item I can order it for you . I say I can order the item my self and get a lower price delievered to my front door and not have to come back. The look on the peoples face is worth the trip to the store to not get the item.

I need a tool to change my brakes. I lost mine apparantly. I went to the local auto parts stores and nobody even lists it. Not going to pay Snap-On price for it.

Found it @ Home Depot.com and ordered it. Cost $11 which is a few dollars less than Amazon. Should be here Wednesday.

I cared for my parents for 20 years. The last 5 I had a home care giver stay with my father. With Amazon Prime and Mani I was able to keep working and keep him living at home until he passed on.

There used to be small corner stores everywhere in America. Supermarkets killed them. How many small stores did Wally World kill? Buy your 5w30 at a parts store instead of WW or on-line? How many stores has Costco killer? Gas stations?

The only constant is change. For every winner there is a loser.

I cared for my parents for 20 years. The last 5 I had a home care giver stay with my father. With Amazon Prime and Mani I was able to keep working and keep him living at home until he passed on.

There used to be small corner stores everywhere in America. Supermarkets killed them. How many small stores did Wally World kill? Buy your 5w30 at a parts store instead of WW or on-line? How many stores has Costco killer? Gas stations?

Me and you buddy... In those hard times Amazon was great and so was my local pharmacy that delivered for free.

Your HD has these things in stock? Mine doesn't. The wall toggle things yes.

And if you order those on HD website it will take 8+ working days to get them. I have been burned too many times ordering items at Home Depot that are not in their warehouse. Having the large arm of Amazon twisting the reseller to ship the same day they received the order seems to work sort of.

I am not loyal to any business. I buy where I get the best price.

I shop ACE whenever I can but many times they do not stock an item, and many products are not stocked by Lowes or HD as well. Specialty lawn care products for example. Amazon has a place, hate to use it but wow. Last year my Stihl dealer could not order a replacement part as no longer made and he could not use aftermarket, found it online and he did install it. Crazy

I've had this issue for years with my local NAPA store 2 blocks from my house. They don't stock parts for anything. I've gone in there looking for spark plug wires and spark plugs, they said they don't have them in stock, but could order them. But if I go to autozone or aap, they have what I need right there and then. I figured out what NAPA stands for, "No Auto Parts Available". Same with mower parts. The local mower repair shop must order their stock from the same place I buy from. So, why should I pay them more for doing what I can do at home?. I love it when people say you can buy stuff cheaper online, because online sellers have lower overhead. So I reply. do they just lay there stock out in a field waiting for someone to order it? And it picks itself out of the field of course, and takes itself to the post office to be shipped at no additional cost?. The days of the local mom and pop businesses are gone. Partially due to the complacent attitude that customers will always buy their stuff here, so there's no reason to keep trying to give the best service we can anymore. And the workers that get hired that have no vested interest in anything but a paycheck, are the worst. But yet the owners entrust full faith and confidence that when they are not there, their business is in good hands. HAH.,,,

I could walk you to exactly where those are in my local Home Depot / Lowes

Show me the links on HD or Lowes where they carry toggle bolts with hooks or eyelets, not plain bolts.

Unless your stores carry items that aren't cataloged on their sites, I highly doubt any of them do, including mine.

The closest thing on HD are light hanging kits, which include an chain I don't need, cost multitudes more for a single bolt, and are all ship to store.

I was time pressed when canvassing the Hillman hardware drawer aisle at my local hardware store last time I was there, but I still don't think I missed them if they were there. But I often hit that section as the first option when I need random hardware, and am pretty familiar with it.

These are not rare, exotic, nor special items, so they shouldn't require a hunt to track down.

I've had an easier time sourcing Euro car metric hardware without having to order them, than these things.

People's over-reliance on Amazon needs to be broken. They have destroyed small businesses in favor or allowing shady resellers to sell box store clearance items, they allow the selling of obvious counterfeits on their website (even under their own Amazon Basics brand) destroying livelihoods and being disrespectful, contributed to creating anti-social and lazy people, and they have no legitimate competition - they are a monopoly.

Yes, I buy from Amazon. But I purposefully get off my ass and go to stores as much as I can. I choose to not be yet another lazy American holed up in his house ordering stuff from one company, making a single man so rich that he can give half is net worth to his ex-wife and still be in the top 3 richest people in the word (and the wife is amongst women). Amazon is an amazing company. It doesn't mean they should end up the only marketplace, which is where we're headed very quickly. First it was Walmart and Target, now it's Amazon... but since Amazon controls distribution, too, it's going to be very hard to compete with them. Likely only the Chinese will be able to fund a competitive online reseller.

I was at a gas station today and saw 2 Amazon Sprinter vans getting fuel, I don’t know if it was gasoline or diesel.

Amazon is delivering on Easter Sunday. 👍

Full Disclosure: I own a few shares of Amazon

Just last week I was looking for an old school screw in pull switch (screws in to light bulb socket and has on / off pull switch) for use in our utility room. No one locally carries them! I tried Lowes, Home Depot and Walmart, sure enough Amazon has them and it arrived in two days. I don't care to support Amazon vs. other local options but what can you do?

Yep. Why waste your time on your day off looking for something difficult to find ?

Amazon is more that just an online retailer.

Show me the links on HD or Lowes where they carry toggle bolts with hooks or eyelets, not plain bolts.

Unless your stores carry items that aren't cataloged on their sites, I highly doubt any of them do, including mine.

The closest thing on HD are light hanging kits, which include an chain I don't need, cost multitudes more for a single bolt, and are all ship to store.

I was time pressed when canvassing the Hillman hardware drawer aisle at my local hardware store last time I was there, but I still don't think I missed them if they were there. But I often hit that section as the first option when I need random hardware, and am pretty familiar with it.

These are not rare, exotic, nor special items, so they shouldn't require a hunt to track down.

I've had an easier time sourcing Euro car metric hardware without having to order them, than these things.
You are a hater! I love walking 4.7 miles into Home Depot to get a roll of tape..........

Civilization is always changing. We are in a dawn of a "New Age". For better or worse. I would rather support local/small business, but there is what I call a "Paradigm Shift", in our world. Everything is fluid!

Profound statement about change!

Even simple things like cabinet door hinges or furnace filters - good luck finding the one you need at any Home Depot or even a local hardware store. Yet a few clicks on Amazon and you get the precise items you need - and the prices are really good, delivered right to your door.
You can find all those at the Home Depot or Lowe’s website.

Keep buying from Bezos -- while I might not like him he has made bank money for me!!! Bought his stock back in 2013 -- I wish I would have gone All In!! I just cashed some out for a hefty gain......enough to pay cash for some acreage hunting property! Capitalism for the WIN!
Capitalism for the WIN! Yes!
But what we have today is a deviant predatory capitalism which has very little in common with the original idea. The competition and free market is practically dead. Glad you made some money off of exploited workers who are treated like a modern slaves.

Today we have monopolies that destroy and absorb rivals, oppose free market and billionaires control the state by buying our public servants with promise of post government lobbying and consulting jobs.

Capitalism for the WIN! Yes!
But what we have today is a deviant predatory capitalism which has very little in common with the original idea. The competition and free market is practically dead. Glad you made some money off of exploited workers who are treated like a modern slaves.

Today we have monopolies that destroy and absorb rivals, oppose free market and billionaires control the state by buying our public servants with promise of post government lobbying and consulting jobs.
You are praising free market capitalism and condemming it at the same time.

Back