This is one reason why Amazon is winning

I've tried my best to locally source what I thought is a simple, not uncommon item that shouldn't be hard to get.

Yet, it turns out to be something that neither the big box hardware stores, nor local Ace stores carry.

Check Bezos' emporium -- bang -- multiple options.

I didn't want to have to order such things, as well as end up with more than I need, but there are no other options, so Amazon wins by default.

same here I try hard to buy local. But to many times all I get is "sorry we don't sock that but we can order it for you " one time I was at a parts store ,of course they didn't have the part but could order it for me which was going to take 3-5 days and I would have to pay shipping ,shipping was more than the parts cost ...no thanks

Even simple things like cabinet door hinges or furnace filters - good luck finding the one you need at any Home Depot or even a local hardware store. Yet a few clicks on Amazon and you get the precise items you need - and the prices are really good, delivered right to your door.

I could walk you to exactly where those are in my local Home Depot / Lowes
Your HD has these things in stock? Mine doesn't. The wall toggle things yes.

People's over-reliance on Amazon needs to be broken. They have destroyed small businesses in favor or allowing shady resellers to sell box store clearance items, they allow the selling of obvious counterfeits on their website (even under their own Amazon Basics brand) destroying livelihoods and being disrespectful, contributed to creating anti-social and lazy people, and they have no legitimate competition - they are a monopoly.

Yes, I buy from Amazon. But I purposefully get off my ass and go to stores as much as I can. I choose to not be yet another lazy American holed up in his house ordering stuff from one company, making a single man so rich that he can give half is net worth to his ex-wife and still be in the top 3 richest people in the word (and the wife is amongst women). Amazon is an amazing company. It doesn't mean they should end up the only marketplace, which is where we're headed very quickly. First it was Walmart and Target, now it's Amazon... but since Amazon controls distribution, too, it's going to be very hard to compete with them. Likely only the Chinese will be able to fund a competitive online reseller.

Yesterday groceries..yeah I get it a Holiday but sometimes I feel like im in Russia past tense... No food on the shelves...Seriously.
We can't even find beets locally. Gotta drive 45 minutes to Whole Foods or Wegmans to get 'em.

Even Russians can find beets on the shelves! (even if it's the only thing)

Just last week I was looking for an old school screw in pull switch (screws in to light bulb socket and has on / off pull switch) for use in our utility room. No one locally carries them! I tried Lowes, Home Depot and Walmart, sure enough Amazon has them and it arrived in two days. I don't care to support Amazon vs. other local options but what can you do?

People's over-reliance on Amazon needs to be broken. They have destroyed small businesses in favor or allowing shady resellers to sell box store clearance items, they allow the selling of obvious counterfeits on their website (even under their own Amazon Basics brand) destroying livelihoods and being disrespectful, contributed to creating anti-social and lazy people, and they have no legitimate competition - they are a monopoly.

Yes, I buy from Amazon. But I purposefully get off my ass and go to stores as much as I can. I choose to not be yet another lazy American holed up in his house ordering stuff from one company, making a single man so rich that he can give half is net worth to his ex-wife and still be in the top 3 richest people in the word (and the wife is amongst women). Amazon is an amazing company. It doesn't mean they should end up the only marketplace, which is where we're headed very quickly. First it was Walmart and Target, now it's Amazon... but since Amazon controls distribution, too, it's going to be very hard to compete with them. Likely only the Chinese will be able to fund a competitive online reseller.
I have not bought anything from Amazon for years … Decided not to …
But, my reasons are not the point … just pointing out you can be a DIY type without Amazon

Just last week I was looking for an old school screw in pull switch (screws in to light bulb socket and has on / off pull switch) for use in our utility room. No one locally carries them! I tried Lowes, Home Depot and Walmart, sure enough Amazon has them and it arrived in two days. I don't care to support Amazon vs. other local options but what can you do?
That's exactly it...I buy a bunch of stuff on Amazon and the majority of it is items I can't get anywhere locally. In the past couple of weeks, I've ordered an attic power vent motor (specific brand not in stock locally), a 24vac transformer, replacement grill parts that are 1/2 the price of "name brand" that I may or may not find locally, etc.

On my DuckDuckGo search page I can type in a product I am looking for and on that page there is a Shopping tab. Other search engines have this as well.

There are other outlets besides Amazon. Also, check the manufacturer site. They might have a online store as well.

Costs money to run a store in a prime real estate location and have shelves that one can peruse, while having employees ready to answer questions. Slow moving stock costs more than fast moving stock. Websites are pretty cheap, as is a warehouse out of the way That is harder to drive to.

I must be getting old—I can remember when Home Depot was the evil place that was putting stores out of business (remember Home Quarters?).

A couple years ago I gave up buying local. Not only very little stock, but very little choice in variations of similar parts. Combined with the ease of online orders, it's a no brainer.

Keep buying from Bezos -- while I might not like him he has made bank money for me!!! Bought his stock back in 2013 -- I wish I would have gone All In!! I just cashed some out for a hefty gain......enough to pay cash for some acreage hunting property! Capitalism for the WIN!

Amazon provides a great....and I mean great service. I see no reason NOT to buy from them. Your living in the past if you ever think this will change in the near future. Just because I buy from Amazon doesn't make me lazy.....just tired of driving to the store and finding, either 1. The shelf is empty or 2. There is a sub-standard or inferior selection. I can go on Amazon and look at 50 varieties of a given part.

Amazon controlling distribution is not necessarily a bad thing. With scale, comes efficiency. I can pretty much look up any part and it's going to be lower cost with delivery from Amazon. So am I supposed to buy it from a different company and pay a premium?

Every generation has moguls that become uber wealthy.....so what. Someday Amazon will go the way of the Sears of the world and we will have someone else. It's capitalism.....acceot it.

And btw, Walmart, in the long run will give Amazon at least some competition.

I shop my local mom and pop hardware store whenever possible. If they don't have something, I turn to Lowes or HD. If they don't have it, I look online. I've had to buy 3 things online last year and all 3 were Lawnmower parts and accessories. For some reason, neither the local hardware store nor the local Lowes and HD carry much mower related, particularly mulching/gator blades.

Back