This is one reason why Amazon is winning

Amazon is a very good thing for a lot of american consumers, saves time and expense of finding & visiting a store where the specific product is in stock.

I also think it has had reduced prices on a lot of commodity goods by driving competition. It is easier for a small manufacturer to get its goods onto an Amazon platform than it is to get traction in a large enough number of retail locations.

Amazon is a very good thing for a lot of american consumers, saves time and expense of finding & visiting a store where the specific product is in stock.

I also think it has had reduced prices on a lot of commodity goods by driving competition. It is easier for a small manufacturer to get its goods onto an Amazon platform than it is to get traction in a large enough number of retail locations.
THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
If you watch "Shark Tank" at all there are many who start their own business on Amazon.

THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
If you watch "Shark Tank" at all there are many who start their own business on Amazon.
They are the future "Mom and Pop" businesses. Your local "mom and pop" general stores were long gone when supermarket / barcode scanning pick your own stuff into your own cart stores started. Then Sears and Walmart just finished the job for them. Calling Amazon destroying local mom and pop while ignoring Walmart and Sears are just nonsense and brain washing.

Mom and pop today should do eBay and Amazon selling on the internet instead of local sales. They should be doing youtube videos for marketing and revenue to their core businesses, they should also be focusing laser sharp on their strength in one area, instead of being a "we sell everything in this neighborhood but we overcharge you" business.

Oh, don't blame Amazon (instead of IKEA or Home Depot) for your failing kitchen cabinet business, nobody will believe you.

I think the first firms to start putting " mom and pop" stores out of business were Kroger and Safeway.
What I have noticed is that Mom and Pop's that both survive and thrive offer something a big box/mass retailer is missing in the market. We have local hardware places, meat markets, fish markets, veggie markets and specialty grocery stores crushing it. They don't even try to compete with big ones.

We found on a small project with Trex and lumber that using a speciality supplier was actually cheaper than Lowes AND delivered the stuff for $16 max within a few days. Lowes charges more and much slower and also the price per foot was $1.50 more for Trex.

What I have noticed is that Mom and Pop's that both survive and thrive offer something a big box/mass retailer is missing in the market. We have local hardware places, meat markets, fish markets, veggie markets and specialty grocery stores crushing it. They don't even try to compete with big ones.

We found on a small project with Trex and lumber that using a speciality supplier was actually cheaper than Lowes AND delivered the stuff for $16 max within a few days. Lowes charges more and much slower and also the price per foot was $1.50 more for Trex.
Mom & pop hardware stores can still offer good prices being with national hardware chains - then provide their service. I bought a Stihl chainsaw at one - made in USA … great price. This guy who worked there forever says let’s make sure she runs good. Gets it ready with genuine Stihl bar oil and fuel … we head outside for a curbside demo ! 😎

“Nearly five years after breaking ground, Amazon has finally opened a $1.5 billion air hub in Kentucky that promises to accelerate its efforts to dominate last-mile delivery.

The Amazon Air Hub at the Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport (CVG) will serve as the central hub for Amazon Air’s U.S. cargo network, facilitating the rapid transport of customer packages across the country.”

I do own a few shares of Amazon and is a long term holding.

Last edited:
Back