This is gonna sound stupid but I have 40:1 2-cycle oil mix and I was wondering i

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is gonna sound stupid but I have 40:1 2-cycle oil mix and I was wondering if I can just add less in to make it 50:1 (which is what I need)?

I have this stuff: https://www.menards.com/main/tools/...-19-6-oz/2309/p-1487748027995-c-9112.htm

It says it's for weed eaters but I'm not sure that actually matters and it is 40:1. I want to use it for my chainsaw which requires 50:1 oil. Can I use less to make it 50:1? I read something somewhere that said to use the 2.6oz mark instead of the 3.2oz if you want it to be 50:1. I'm mixing it with a gallon of gas. I'd really love to not have to buy more oil as I'm not near a hardware store right now. I also heard making the fuel richer may actually be better than making it too weak. Thanks for any info!

I suggest using it as it is. I very much prefer 32 to 1.

The only reasons manufacturers want 50 to 1 is to reduce smoke and emissions. More oil in a 2 stroke is nearly always better.

I would use the 40:1 for both the weed eater and chainsaw. It will be slightly rich for the chainsaw but as long as it runs alright....use it.

Thanks guys, I definitely appreciate the information...puts my mind at ease. I dont even think there is instructions on the bottle. Would I use the 3.2oz mark? Also, does it matter that its labeled "weed eater" oil? That seems really dumb to me because isn't 2-cycle oil just 2-cycle oil?

Last edited:
The increase in lubrication may "carbon up" your muffler's spark arrester a little sooner, but it will be fine for the engine. Main reason 50:1 is commonplace today is simply due to EPA regulations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back