This how we rolled!!

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
241502159_5186613994733957_702070570349717108_n.jpg

I would not trade my childhood for anything. Loved my bike, wore out 2 sets of tires on it. Played football, wiffle ball, built snow forts, smear the #$%^%, riding my friends go kart, the swimming pool, my mom did not see me from sunup until dinner time. Living in a small town was the best, and I really regret not pushing my wife harder to move to a small town when our kids were born.

I used to wear out a rear tire (skid off the rubber) at lest every month in the summer. Had inner tubes with more patches than tube.

Loved the smell of the hot patches, banned by the epa now.

You can still the the scars on one knee. And I have a deformed big toenail.

When they went to the rat rap petals, and the old rubber block ones disappeared, I cut out tire sidewalls to put over them.

Rod

I still use those even today. There's one in my camelback and another in my workshop.

The company is actually bigger in automotive tire repair than anything else. Especially plug-patch combos. I believe their "vulcanising fluid" is the same for automotive and bicycle applications other than the size and containers used.

A6.jpg

Being one of the earlier Baby Boomers, I grew up in the 50s and early 60s. In the summer, our moms would shove us out the back door right after breakfast and would not be surprised if we didn't show up until supper.

There was no molly-coddling either. If you fell out of a tree and broke your arm; no sympathy. You shouldn't have been up there, idiot.

We didn't have grief counselors either. I remember when I was in 6th grade, one of my classmates went "swimming" in a pond and drowned. The grief counseling I got from my parents was simple: "If you do stupid things you can die." That's pretty much what all the other kids heard from their parents.

Being one of the earlier Baby Boomers, I grew up in the 50s and early 60s. In the summer, our moms would shove us out the back door right after breakfast and would not be surprised if we didn't show up until supper.

There was no molly-coddling either. If you fell out of a tree and broke your arm; no sympathy. You shouldn't have been up there, idiot.

We didn't have grief counselors either. I remember when I was in 6th grade, one of my classmates went "swimming" in a pond and drowned. The grief counseling I got from my parents was simple: "If you do stupid things you can die." That's pretty much what all the other kids heard from their parents.
My safe space was outside away from my parents!

Back