This had me puzzled for a while.........

Status
Not open for further replies.
No codes no CEL 2000 Century. The car would race on occasion, and easily do 30 mph w/o giving it gas. I changed the IAC and it was fine for about 4,000 miles. The problem came back, new IAC no problem for about another 2,000 miles. Swapped it a third time, no problem for 24 hours. It can't be that three IAC's are bad [maybe with the junk they make today], but still, no CEL and no codes.

I thought about changing the TPS, and spoke to Trav about it, he thought it would be a good idea.

Here is what I removed. Note the angle of the area in the center, the small centered keyed area. It is supposed to be flush. A new TPS solved the problem.

seems really weird that it didn't throw a code, but there's always one. Don't you feel lucky?

Anyways, you got off cheap, good for you...

It was working good enough to satisfy the computer, but not good enough to satisfy the driver. I had a similar issue with a MAP sensor one time.

demarpaint: How did the center part get tweaked like that?

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
seems really weird that it didn't throw a code, but there's always one. Don't you feel lucky?

Anyways, you got off cheap, good for you...

Lucky? I'm lucky I made it home from my trip south with the car.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

demarpaint: How did the center part get tweaked like that?

That's how it was when I removed it, it came off with no issue. Upon inspection I noticed it was messed up, especially when the new one was nearly flush in comparison. My best guess was it was binding. I'm still wondering why the CEL didn't trip, and it had no codes.

Originally Posted By: punisher
This is one problem that more often than not doesn't set a code.

TP doesn't show idle voltage, IAC is at 100% off idle.

Thanks for the reply. I'm happy to report the car is running great, and I didn't toss any more money than I had to at it to get it running right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back