This does not make sense!

Status
Not open for further replies.
SynPower delivers outstanding protection in extreme temperatures, superior cold start properties and superior deposit control, but it does not have MaxLife's added ingredients that are designed to help fight the aging of critical engine parts.

***I got this from Valvolines website. I thought synthetic was as good, if not better for older engines???***

I think syns are better for newer engines and high-mileage conventionals are better for older engines. The aging they're referring to are seals, something most syns don't do anything for.

Speaking of which, I was on their website using the "which oil is right for your car" thing. The Malibu has 71,000 miles on it, and the site says that it didn't recommend the MaxLife since my car doesn't have 75,000 miles yet, but then goes on to say that it would be a good idea for me to start using the stuff before I reach 75,000 miles as it would be more effective....
21.gif

Originally Posted By: ViragoBry
I think syns are better for newer engines and high-mileage conventionals are better for older engines. The aging they're referring to are seals, something most syns don't do anything for.

I would be more inclined to use high mileage synthetics in an older automobile just because the chances of having a coolant leak or a PCV failing or rubber hoses cracking and dirt ingestion and other problems increases as the engine gets older. Synthetics can definately take more abuse then conventional oils. But if you meticoulously take care of an engine from birth, sure you can use conventional and have the car last forever. Most of the population don't even read their owners manual nowadays so taking care of an engine is out of the question.

Originally Posted By: ViragoBry

According to Mobil synt. oil is fine for older engines. I know in my family M1 oils have worked great in old, high mileage engines. Some up to 330,000 miles, all on M1. Check out the video from Mobil. 1st myth under product performance, myths debunked.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Videos/TV.aspx

Last edited:
Seems that they could make one single oil for all vehicles, it would be syn and have high mileage components, which IMO really are just other good additives to have in place for any engine. Then they could marked an cheap oil for those on a budget. But having 4 or 5 brands probably boosts sales.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back