thinnest conventional 5W-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Havoline deposit shield is the lightest conventional. Castrol GTX 5w20 is almost a 5w30. All the 5w30 grades have to fit into grade parameters. really though, 5w30, 5w20 or even 10w30 is splitting hairs, you or your motor wont know, even in cold or hot extreme climates.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
I don't have any specs but i bet pennzoil ultra may be close

edge and ultra are not conventional oils (well some may consider them dino oils)

Originally Posted By: lipadj46
Originally Posted By: spasm3
I don't have any specs but i bet pennzoil ultra may be close

edge and ultra are not conventional oils (well some may consider them dino oils)

Man i have got to start reading slower!! i missed the word Conventional!! sorry !!

Keep in mind that 100°C = 212°F. At normal operating temp Hav DS is not as thin as you think by looking at the 100°C spec. I have found Chev Supreme to appear thinner having used both in the same vehicle during summer temps in the northeast and southeast, and winter temps in the northeast. If you are comparing 100°C specs, Hav DS SN is thicker that the outgoing SM version.

grin.gif
oh yea oh yea man alot of worn out motors in NYC using Castrol Products

Originally Posted By: Ram01
grin.gif
oh yea oh yea man alot of worn out motors in NYC using Castrol Products

Only in New York, huh, maybe it doesn't like it there. Have you ever thought of that?

although i use conoco at my shop..we buy it in drums and it is a great oil,,zero problems i would use Castrol i think castrol is a good oil i was at their plant and it was very clean and the people really seemed to care...we use conoco because of the price and the quality cant be beat in my opinion...any oil sold with the sm or sn should be of good quality..we get great service and good use out of the conoco brand which is made by conoco phillips they also make motorcraft and a few others great oil! we put that into almost all the engines we build here and there are a lot of them

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
Havoline deposit shield is the lightest conventional. Castrol GTX 5w20 is almost a 5w30. All the 5w30 grades have to fit into grade parameters. really though, 5w30, 5w20 or even 10w30 is splitting hairs, you or your motor wont know, even in cold or hot extreme climates.

I put that into numbers in a previous post about GC, and some thought i was mental. But that is why i did.. for the above reason.

Yes, as far as I've been able to tell, the Chevron Supreme and Havoline with Deposit Shield ARE the same oil. And a very GOOD oil at that.

Originally Posted By: cshaynes2000
what is the thinnest conventional 5W-30 oil available? It will be for a 1998 Jeep 4.0.

Thinnest in what way? At operating temp, or for cold weather performance? VWB has the best cold weather numbers of all the oils listed at http://www.pqiamerica.com/testresults3a.html. If you're looking for operating temp it's a wash. Chances are they are all going to shear a little so the .2 -> .5 cSt difference @ 100ºC is irrelevant IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back