Thinner is better ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
1) Is it just me or are thin oils the best of both worlds?
2) Better flow equals better protection, no?
3) Better flow equals better cleaning, no?
4) Does a 0w40 flows like a 0 at startup and protects like a 40?

4 questions, 4 answers will suffice. Thanks.

-A

Oh man. Not another one. We just did 14 pages of thin is in.
spankme2.gif

Originally Posted By: ARMY_Guy

No. They have their place, just like thicker oils.

No. Ask a diesel engine or BuickGN.

No, thinner oil does not clean better.

Sure.

i thought 5w-20 oils held their higher viscosities (i.e. the "20") better than 5w-30 oils... there is less potential of a shear effect because the viscosity doesn't cover as large of a range. maybe im wrong, so dont hold me to it.
54.gif

4 questions, 4 answers will suffice. Thanks.

-A

1. Maybe
2. Maybe
3. Maybe
4. No 0W20 flows faster at start up than a 0W40.

After reading all these posts plus tons of others I have decided to use 5-30 instead of 5-20. Why you may ask? Dosent it just make sense! If you have questions about 5-20 being too thin, or shearing down to a 5-10 then why not just use 5-30? Is it too thick? No because its a 5 wt, it was recomended in the exact same engines before 5-20 became "the thing", and much thicker oil is recomended in everyother place besides north america.

But 5-30 is cheaper oil and just sheares down to 5-20: Ok well I guess you only have to live with the 5-30 for a month and then you have 5-20!

It dosent flow as well in cold temps: Its a 5wt how different can it be, and it has far better flow than the 10-30 that you used 10 years ago.

My oil cap says 5-20: well in a month it will be 5-20. Your owners manual probably says to only use oem fluids and parts too, or only service you car at the dealership but you dont do that.

5-20 gives me better gas milage: Barely! And remember the 5-30 will be 5-20 in a month so I think your ok.

I think the answer is obvious! But poke holes, I know its comming.

Originally Posted By: ryland
After reading all these posts plus tons of others I have decided to use 5-30 instead of 5-20. Why you may ask? Dosent it just make sense! If you have questions about 5-20 being too thin, or shearing down to a 5-10 then why not just use 5-30? Is it too thick? No because its a 5 wt, it was recomended in the exact same engines before 5-20 became "the thing", and much thicker oil is recomended in everyother place besides north america.

But 5-30 is cheaper oil and just sheares down to 5-20: Ok well I guess you only have to live with the 5-30 for a month and then you have 5-20!

It dosent flow as well in cold temps: Its a 5wt how different can it be, and it has far better flow than the 10-30 that you used 10 years ago.

My oil cap says 5-20: well in a month it will be 5-20. Your owners manual probably says to only use oem fluids and parts too, or only service you car at the dealership but you dont do that.

5-20 gives me better gas milage: Barely! And remember the 5-30 will be 5-20 in a month so I think your ok.

I think the answer is obvious! But poke holes, I know its comming.

I can see using a 5W-30 in place of a 5W-20 but I wouldn't use anything 50 grade unless my engine was burning and blowing oil like mad, or if I planned on racing the car in the hot summer. I would only do that if the mfg ok'ed a 50 weight oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back